Switching from DSLR to Mirrorless - help with obtaining similar quality photos?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Be prepared for a beginner/possibly stupid question: So I recently switched over to a A6000 from a Nikon D3100. I thought that the autofocus would be just as good, but I’m not able to focus well on these smaller objects. The photo I attached for an example is something I shot on ‘Automatic’ on my Nikon with a kit lens but I can’t seem to get a comparable shot. Are there any tips on how to easily focus or get something similar in quality with an A6000? Thanks in advance! Maybe @Flexzone ?

40B81D6A-4F63-439D-A1A8-7A2CE45C5AFC.jpeg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Used my brain and figured it out lol
Clue me. The Nikon has about 153,000 ways to bring it into focus. That thumb wheel to switch through the focal zones is driving me bats!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Wait, that's what the wheel does? I've never even touched it.
It's called the Comand Dial and you use it for shutter speed compensation and several other highly esoteric things with the camera in a variety of manual modes while holding down various other buttons and I'm pretty sure you need to check the phase of the moon and if your model is wearing polyester blends.
And when you screw the settings up you hope shutting the camera off and back on will revert everything but sometimes it doesn't.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Good move, Sony makes some of the best mirrorless cameras on the market.

I switched from canon to Sony mirrorless and love it!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I've always used a Sony A57 and I love it. Focusing in on small objects with tack sharp results is more about the lens than the body. All my tarantula photos are taken with my Sony 50mm macro lens. All cameras are going to have about the same limitations with how close you can get with a normal zoom/prime lens.
Investing in a good macro lens is a must. Not only are they good for close up photography, but mine will perform equally as well if used as a prime/portrait lens. They can be used in more ways than just macro photography and that makes them a good investment.

Last edited:

AlexWae

Arachnopeon
i use an Olympus OMD-E M10 mk 2
olympus has a sweet dedicated 60mm macro that does 1/1

pic on my avatar was taken with that setup..

camera itself is good and that lens is just kick-ass.. no other brand has a dedicated 1/1 macro for MFT3 cameras