Switching from crickets/worms to dubias

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I recently switched from feeding mostly crickets, with occasional wax/super/meal worms, to feeding mostly dubias, still with occasional worms. I also let my largest t's have a thawed frozen pinkie once or twice a year. Anyway, most of my t's have taken to the dubias with no problem, but I have a couple who are boycotting the roaches completely. They'll act as if they're going to strike, then pull back (as if disgusted--it's kind of funny) and won't take the roaches. I leave the roaches in with them for several days to no avail.

Anybody else have picky t's who eventually were won over to dubias? I'm just wondering how long I should push the issue before just accepting that certain t's just prefer their crickets.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So I recently switched from feeding mostly crickets, with occasional wax/super/meal worms, to feeding mostly dubias, still with occasional worms. I also let my largest t's have a thawed frozen pinkie once or twice a year. Anyway, most of my t's have taken to the dubias with no problem, but I have a couple who are boycotting the roaches completely. They'll act as if they're going to strike, then pull back (as if disgusted--it's kind of funny) and won't take the roaches. I leave the roaches in with them for several days to no avail.

Anybody else have picky t's who eventually were won over to dubias? I'm just wondering how long I should push the issue before just accepting that certain t's just prefer their crickets.
No. Don't do that. Even if it is just once or twice a year, why risk it the danger of feeding rodents.

I think this has been brought up before, basically some people said that their T's boycotted the roaches for a little while but when they get hungry, they will most definitely eat. I will see if I can find the thread where it said this in a little bit.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it seems like dubias are the most likely of roaches to be refused, however i have had luck with feeding dubias to all 16 Ts and have never had to resort to lats.

with most of my slings i have to crush their heads and either tong feed (only a few do this) or offer them flipped on their backs in front of the sling, legs wiggling in the air. it seems to get a good feeding response and you don't have to worry about them going to hide in the sub. even my tiny T. ockerti has taken to eating tiny nymphs, provided they are appropriately sized.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It seems like my Avics don't like dubia very much, I've even seen them webbed over fairly quickly. They do much better with lats. But for larger terrestrial Ts, dubia are great. I love the crunch.