sweet spot

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Vaejovis carolinianus i have found a sweet spot that is crawling with this species , it seems that ever rock has one under it .its amazing but i have a question why are there only scorpions concentrated within a 150-200 yard diameter? why dosent this species spread out?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What's the surrounding terrain like? Is it near water?

I've had similar experiences, a few acres will be LOADED, and then the rest of the county could be completely barren.

edit: if you're in alabama you might be able to find some c hentzi as well. It would be interesting to find a spot shared by both species.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scorpions are basically limited to a very concentrated area **in most circumstances**. This is because they do not have the ability to travel great distances. This is more evident the farther north you go, where someone could never see a scorpion in they're life, but 50 miles away they're friend can't go a day with out seeing one. So that's not a very uncommon occurance, and basically you can consider yourself lucky and skilled that you found such a great concertration of them.... you may go 50-100 miles without finding a density that great. But, with human help, scorpions can all over the world (lol). A perfect local example is to check the distribution patterns of C vittatus. They'e patterns are almost exact to the trade routes used by the settlers a couple hundred years ago. So obvisouly, many of the populations across the US are from them hitching a ride.

Hope that helps, great job with the sweet spot :clap:

Ed

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well

(the surrounding terrain)well i think it has some thing to do with a whole bunches of rocks my granfather told me about the place, it was on his land ,he siad he considered haveing a rock quary dug there but decided not to. as far as the other species,yes that intrests me to becouse ive only been once and it started raining i only had time to lift about 7 stones and i found 3 of them i threw them in some jars and headed back.i want to go back and look again.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What part of Alabama are you from? I'm from central Alabama and I find quite a few of these little beauties. If you're interested in getting together for a hunt sometime, I also know some others that would love to go. Make it a group thing! Oh and if you want to do it the easy way, get a UV flashlight and hunt them at night like we do. drop me a PM if you're interested.

wonderwes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cullman

cullman al actualy i cant for a while the next to weeks i am booked may i can figure something out i am going hunting for scorpions in texas next week

hail-mike

Arachnopeon
Scorpions are basically limited to a very concentrated area **in most circumstances**. This is because they do not have the ability to travel great distances. This is more evident the farther north you go, where someone could never see a scorpion in they're life, but 50 miles away they're friend can't go a day with out seeing one. So that's not a very uncommon occurance, and basically you can consider yourself lucky and skilled that you found such a great concertration of them.... you may go 50-100 miles without finding a density that great. But, with human help, scorpions can all over the world (lol). A perfect local example is to check the distribution patterns of C vittatus. They'e patterns are almost exact to the trade routes used by the settlers a couple hundred years ago. So obvisouly, many of the populations across the US are from them hitching a ride.

Hope that helps, great job with the sweet spot :clap:

Ed
i live in pennsylvania and i've never seen a scorpion in the wild and believe me, i've tried haha. maybe i just wasn't looking in the right places though :wall: