swammerdami

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Showing off the H. swammerdami I have over here. I think I've had these things going for over 10 years now. I almost messed up and hit a dead end. I had to restart with 9 babies left from a bad mishap but it's paid off. I have a good secure number of them going now, I'm not interested in selling right now but I will some day. The containers aren't pretty but work, I have a space problem.

It used to bother me, they do this a lot, go completely under water and just sit there but it's never been a problem, I don't worry about it anymore.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I don't think you could ever criticize how pet shops / stores keep their stock again. Not the best advert for the hobby, especially with so many new keepers reading AB postings.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome job. How many do you have now? Not many people in the hobby are willing to put in the work to establish and keep a species in the hobby. Seven or eight years ago, I was breeding some nice stuff. When I moved I sold everything. Now none of those species are in the US hobby. It pissed me off now that I’m looking to get back into things, I can’t find any of the species I had before. Maybe, I’ll start another dart frog tank or start breeding pythons.

John

Last edited:

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would trade a few of them for some fresh genetics so you're coi goes down. Idk how much it matters for scorpions but it couldnt hurt to get some new blood in your gene pool.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome job. How many do you have now? Not many people in the hobby are willing to put in the work to establish and keep a species in the hobby. Seven or eight years ago, I was breeding some nice stuff. When I moved I sold everything. Now none of those species are in the US hobby. It pissed me off now that I’m looking to get back into things, I can’t find any of the species I had before. Maybe, I’ll start another dart frog tank or start breeding pythons.

John
I don't know, I've never counted them. I know what you mean about availability drying up. I saw it coming with the environmental stuff going on so I grabbed a few of my fav things to tried and keep them going. I have dozens of home-grown imperators too. I have CB H. paucidens, some of those are adults now. btw trogs grow faster than paucidens. And I have dictators(true dictators), I think one is about to have babies. I sure didn't expect to come across those, ever, but there were several in a pet store here when there was a smuggled import that came in that got busted. I guess they didn't know what else to do with them but let some stores have them. I really hope that one has babies. I've always been a sucker for the bigger scorpions. I've been keeping things for several decades and I've taken a break several times so I know what you mean there also, things just come up, always time to get back into things.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Showing off the H. swammerdami I have over here. I think I've had these things going for over 10 years now. I almost messed up and hit a dead end. I had to restart with 9 babies left from a bad mishap but it's paid off. I have a good secure number of them going now, I'm not interested in selling right now but I will some day. The containers aren't pretty but work, I have a space problem.

It used to bother me, they do this a lot, go completely under water and just sit there but it's never been a problem, I don't worry about it anymore.
It looks like they're forming a scorpion ladder to escape the container. So funny!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I don't think you could ever criticize how pet shops / stores keep their stock again. Not the best advert for the hobby, especially with so many new keepers reading AB postings.
He's been doing this for a long, long time. Maybe not to best thing for a newbie to see, but his setup works. Many people overdo their enclosures to the point they don't function well.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He's been doing this for a long, long time. Maybe not to best thing for a newbie to see, but his setup works. Many people overdo their enclosures to the point they don't function well.
They are bare-bones utility setups, they do have hides and water but I took that stuff out to take pics.

Pandinus Brian

Arachnopeon
Oh man that's one is top of my dream Scorpions (I already have Emps). Keep at it, and be sure to let me know when there up for sell! ;) Good luck man it looks like your doing a great job!

Terrena Laxamentum

Arachnoknight
Scorpion " Puppy Farms " - nice ! You really do spoil them - water AND hides.
Ooh, We have a scholar over here. Most inverts don't really need much to thrive and be happy, often times we put human emotions on them and forget (not that it's a bad thing, but it's very annoying when you're knocking someone who is, in the end, keeping them properly. It's one thing to "spoil" your animals, it's another thing to be annoyed because others don't like to build up their enclosures as much)

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Scorpion " Puppy Farms " - nice ! You really do spoil them - water AND hides.
Scorpions do not need to be “spoiled.” They do not have any psychological needs. They really do not care if they have some plants or whatever in the enclosure. I could see if they were stressed out it’d be a bad thing. But obviously these guys are thriving. If they were stressed they would not eat, molt, or breed successfully. but these guys obviously are doing all these things successfully, so their physical needs have been met to be able to thrive and reproduce, which, is the ultimate goal of every single animal.

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, you never know. It always pays to pamper your pets!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is like a scorpion factory, I've been doing it just so I could offer them to people here in the US sooner or later. Some start banging on their cell walls when they are hungry. Some now react to me taking the top off. A few get aggressive about food and stick their chela up in the air, I've hand fed them feeders. I was curious so I stuck my finger in front of one, it grabbed it and was about to try and eat my finger. It became air-born and landed on the rug but no harm done. My home-grown feeders couldn't keep up so I've been having to order 1000 crickets at a time, they are gone in a few days.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Holy cow, that’s a lot of food. When I left the hobby, one of the reasons was I couldn’t keep up with a hundred or so baby scorpions, and do my job to the best of my ability. I can’t imagine going through 1000 crickets a week, all the time spent feeding babies. At least they are communal.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Holy cow, that’s a lot of food. When I left the hobby, one of the reasons was I couldn’t keep up with a hundred or so baby scorpions, and do my job to the best of my ability. I can’t imagine going through 1000 crickets a week, all the time spent feeding babies. At least they are communal.
It's not much work at all though, once a week for an hour or two and I'm done. But I like messing around in there so I'm in there more than that. I've got CB vinegaroons, CB spiders, CB tarantulas(only two rosies and several moderatum) and CB scorpions, no wild caught stuff now, 100s of things and low maintenance. I just got through watering and feeding stuff a while ago, won't have to mess with it for several days. Yeah the swammerdami get along fine. Home grown feeders are crickets, Hissers and dubia.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Ooh, We have a scholar over here. Most inverts don't really need much to thrive and be happy, often times we put human emotions on them and forget (not that it's a bad thing, but it's very annoying when you're knocking someone who is, in the end, keeping them properly. It's one thing to "spoil" your animals, it's another thing to be annoyed because others don't like to build up their enclosures as much)
I was banking on more Dislikes actually - but hey - I can always rely on the usual " experts " so no problem.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nice pics Gala,

I just as of today am back in the swam business too! I sold 5 swams to a contact in Switzerland in 2006, and just bought babies off him that originate from those 5 scorps!!

Beautiful species, and so fiesty!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice pics Gala,

I just as of today am back in the swam business too! I sold 5 swams to a contact in Switzerland in 2006, and just bought babies off him that originate from those 5 scorps!!

Beautiful species, and so fiesty!
Circle of life, woohoo! I may be over doing it but I don't want to let happen what I let happen with my big S.A. centipede. I let too many males go and left me at a dead end, that bothered me a lot and it still does. "I'll keep a couple of males, that should be enough." That was a bad decision.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Scorpions do not need to be “spoiled.” They do not have any psychological needs. They really do not care if they have some plants or whatever in the enclosure. I could see if they were stressed out it’d be a bad thing. But obviously these guys are thriving. If they were stressed they would not eat, molt, or breed successfully. but these guys obviously are doing all these things successfully, so their physical needs have been met to be able to thrive and reproduce, which, is the ultimate goal of every single animal.
Wholeheartedly agree if it ain't broke don't fix it. If I "spoil" my inverts its to please myself in that it's my halfassed attempt at aesthetics to make the enclosure appear like a natural desert or subtropical habitat. And as pointed out earlier, I wouldn't create clutter either or provide a million places for the scorpion to hide either as I may never see it again lol. But most important of all is keeping the scorpion happy and healthy.