Surprise!

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK so when I walked into work this morning there was a T sitting on my desk in a mini KK. I was immediately interested. Who are you..... where did you come from.....

About that time the guy from the lab came out and gave me the story on this stranger.

His friend had given the T to him last night. They caught it while visiting relatives down in Arkansas and it was believed to be a Texas Brown. (Arrggh common names)

Well I did a quick search and my best guess is A. hentzi. But I just wanted to hear a couple of other suggestions from you guys before I call it final. I have posted a pic in the ID ME thread, but I wanted to post something in here also.

It is a very docile T, it barely even responded to being handled after what I could only imagine as being a horrible ride back to Michigan in a car from Arkansas, being thrown into a KK with nothing but a cricket and a few blades of grass. Then taken in the car again after (what I could only imagine) lots of mishandling and prodding, then dumped down on a desk in an office under fluorescent lights.

He or she looks to be in need of a molt but here are a few pics of it. Tell me what you think.

View attachment 61359

View attachment 61360

View attachment 61361

Thanks

~Carla~

Last edited:

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice looking guy or girl! Judging by the size, I'd think a male would be mature by now. For that reason, I'm guessing it's probably a female. I wish I had work days like that! {D

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Give that fellow a good home, cause it's not funny to be councious about being a captive for the rest of your life. Very nice spider though!

That being said, buy CB. ;)

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank your coworker, the guy was trying to be nice. And I seriously doubt the T is going to 'conscious about being a captive' for the rest of its life. Without doing any research on location by species, I believe that the only T species found in Arkansas is the A. hentzi.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is an A. hentzi. At that size it could be male or female. I have a WC mature female and she covers the entire palm of my hand so based on that, I'm going to say it is sub adult and not mature yet. That's just my opinion.

There are a couple of other T's found in Missouri and Arkansas but nothing near as abundant as the hentzi. The Ozark area also has some Aphonoplema baergi around central Arkansas and there are a few Aphonopelma odelli to be found as well. However, they are very hard to find compared to the hentzi.

Heres my female to compare with.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Better that it was given to someone who likes spiders and cares about its condition than kept by someone who would consider it a disposable novelty.. Enjoy your new pet.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Give that fellow a good home, cause it's not funny to be councious about being a captive for the rest of your life. Very nice spider though!

That being said, buy CB. ;)
Yes Rotweil, I agree with you. I am a believer of buying captive bred. I only have one other WC (rescued from a petstore) in my collection. But the other option for him/her was the pet store. I couldn't let that happen. I think it's better off with me.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The reason I have captive bred T's is that the hentzi is not readily available in my area and I thought If I could catch a few, one being female and one being male, I would mate them. I'm planning on putting a small handful back were I caught them and the rest I'm going to sell to get a decent captive population going. Just remember, Everything we have was origanally WC at some time and catching some every now and then helps keep the genes of the species well rounded. If the population is thin from problematic matings or what ever reason. A WC T can quickly restore a healthy population to maintain the captive for some time. All kinds of areas are getting developed and their habitat is shrinking. With a smaller habitat comes the ability to support fewer animals and so taking a few out of the wild really doesn't hurt the population at all. Just so long as its a couple. What hurts the population is not saving a few from development and doing nothing but letting the population shrink. That's just what I see around where I live.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Caring for A. hentzi

So there doesn't seem to be much information about this species out there. I have been searching the net and the boards all day and have come up with very little on them.

If anyone can give me some info on the best way to keep A. hentzi please do. A couple things I was wondering about is:

Temperament: I am assuming they are a very docile T from my observation of this one. I have also seen others say they can be kinda nasty.

Housing and keeping: Do they burrow, or are they terrestrial? Dry, desert species? or do they like a little moisture?

I think that would pretty much do it if anyone has anything to offer please do not hesitate.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

~Carla~

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Temperament: I am assuming they are a very docile T from my observation of this one. I have also seen others say they can be kinda nasty.
Usually pretty docile but, like anything else, there can be exceptions.

Housing and keeping: Do they burrow, or are they terrestrial? Dry, desert species? or do they like a little moisture?
They're usually found in shallow burrows under rocks in dry environments. The ground under the rocks is generally moist though. Dry substrate and a water dish is about all you need for it. They're pretty easy to care for.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info David. That is how I have him right at the moment. I just wnated to be sure that It was the RIGHT way.

~Carla~

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, that there is an Oklahoma Brown, or A. hentzi. They are thick out here, and I'm very close to Arkansas so I imagine a few cross the border from time to time, lol. I wonder if when they do that their name changes to Arkansas Brown? lol. They are a very docile, easy to keep T. In fact, that species got me goin in this fascinating hobby, so good for them!. I would mess with a lil deeper substrate, just to see if she wants to dig.