Surprise Scorplings!

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Peeked in the scorpion container today to find little white scorpion babies on the mom. I had absolutely no idea she was gravid, I did not mate her. She must be a Wild-caught female, we got her at a petstore. She is a Heterometrus genus unknown exact species. I think there are still more scorplings to come!

This is exciting!! :D

Last edited:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Awesome! They are lovely scorps, you could make a lot of money selling some of them, or make a few communal enclosures. The possibilities are endless! ;)

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
*found a typo in the original post, it has been fixed*
So um is there any way to ID the Scorpion?? (named Buttercup)

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Lots of questions to come! 1.) I was told a long time ago that Heterometrus species need a bit more heat, so I put a heating pad on the side of the terrarium. Should the heat pad stay or leave?
2.) how long can the scorplings live with mom?
3.) This is the coolest thing I have witnessed inn the 11 months of invertebrate keeping.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lots of questions to come! 1.) I was told a long time ago that Heterometrus species need a bit more heat, so I put a heating pad on the side of the terrarium. Should the heat pad stay or leave?
2.) how long can the scorplings live with mom?
3.) This is the coolest thing I have witnessed inn the 11 months of invertebrate keeping.
1. The heat pad can stay, although using infrared bulbs (40 watt is just fine) is good too, especially if you expect to have several enclosures. Do you have a thermometer and/or hygrometer?
2. Heterometrus can be raised together (generally) to adulthood provided that there is plenty of room and food. I would still separate them. They should moult within two weeks, and soon after you can separate the juveniles.

If you want to ID the scorpion, just search for basic keys in a search function. The granulation (bumpiness) on the chelae (claws) and carapace are key identifiers for common Heterometrus. Either way, it's likely going to be H. spinifer.
Congratulations on the new litter.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
1. The heat pad can stay, although using infrared bulbs (40 watt is just fine) is good too, especially if you expect to have several enclosures. Do you have a thermometer and/or hygrometer?
2. Heterometrus can be raised together (generally) to adulthood provided that there is plenty of room and food. I would still separate them. They should moult within two weeks, and soon after you can separate the juveniles.

If you want to ID the scorpion, just search for basic keys in a search function. The granulation (bumpiness) on the chelae (claws) and carapace are key identifiers for common Heterometrus. Either way, it's likely going to be H. spinifer.
Congratulations on the new litter.
dont want to hijack this thread, but how long does it take a H. spinifer to have babies after being mated?

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heterometrus have long growth rates and relatively long gestation periods, just like Pandinus, Hadogenes, Vaejovids, etc. There is little confirmed data on gestation periods of Heterometrus, but it will likely take about 7-14 months, which I realise is a bit vague.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Heterometrus have long growth rates and relatively long gestation periods, just like Pandinus, Hadogenes, Vaejovids, etc. There is little confirmed data on gestation periods of Heterometrus, but it will likely take about 7-14 months, which I realise is a bit vague.
We've had buttercup going on 7 months now. So definitely 7 months or more.