Surprise scorpion

AlexandriaMC

Arachnopeon
I had spent all day setting up a tank for my first scorpion(s). I've been talking about it constantly for days. My husband brought me home an emperor tonight! I was going to wait a few days until I was sure my setup was good, but I think my husband saw my anxiousness.

I'm not sure if it's a male or female. I don't know how old it is, but am pretty sure it's not an adult. (Novice guesses based on two things: It's not as big as adults I've seen. It's telson is a yellowish and I read that means it's still immature. Confirmation on that?)

The first thing it did was to crawl under the fake log hiding spot. But.. soon after "he" came out and actually went to the water dish! I was really surprised to see so much activity right away. Fascinating to watch him drinking. (Maybe a bit dehydrated from the store?)

Then he went back under his log. Just a bit ago he came back out and investigated the entire tank. He even went into the little flowerpot cave. I didn't expect so much activity the first day. I think he likes everything. The temp is good, humidity high.

I'll stop babbling like a child soon. It just was a great way to spend my night. Little things make me happy.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, congrats on the new scorp. I hope you've had time to get the enclosure completed for it as well as get all the info you could handle about it. Great thing about a forum. Just be careful, a great forum can easily become a habit. *lol*

adios,
edw. =D

AlexandriaMC

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
Well, congrats on the new scorp. I hope you've had time to get the enclosure completed for it as well as get all the info you could handle about it. Great thing about a forum. Just be careful, a great forum can easily become a habit. *lol*
Thanks. I think I have the setup good. I'd been thinking about getting a scorpion for over a year and had a pretty good idea what I was getting into.

Spending time here might convince me that I need more... :)

black_ops

Banned
Old Timer
Be it reptiles, fish, or scorps, one is never enough, you'll always want more.

AlexandriaMC

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by lizardman
Be it reptiles, fish, or scorps, one is never enough, you'll always want more.
Truthfully, I didn't find keeping reptiles very fulfilling. I couldn't feed a mouse or rat to anything so was a little limited anyway.

Fish, yeah, until we bought this house I had a koi pond. We need to dig a new pond. I miss my koi. Indoors I keep cichlids. My soft spot is for rodents, especially rats. I also volunteer at the local shelter and occasionally foster animals.

Currently I have 5 cats, 3 large dogs, a guinea pig (I hate him. He was dumped on me.), a rat, and a 55 gallon cichlid tank in addition to my new emperor.

black_ops

Banned
Old Timer
I don't like rodents, I find them to be too messy and high-maintainence. I had a hamster before, and it cost a fortune to keep. For me, anything small, cute, pink, or fuzzy is fair game for a snake. Even some of the larger scorpions can eat pinkie mice.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
keeping rodents is simple, just like popsicles, of course folks looking in my freezer are sometimes caught by surprise lol
Rev

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most snakes will eat thawed rats/mice etc. There are exceptions of course and some will only eat live food.