Surprise M. balfouri Communal

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So, I paired my girl almost a year ago and gave up on her having a sac awhile ago. In fact, I was certain that she molted, as evidenced by what I perceived to be brighter colors. I have her in a burrowing setup with a few webbing anchor points on the surface, meaning weeks go by without me seeing so much as a leg from her. Well, I go in to feed last week and see (what I thought was) a fly jet by. It just caught my eye, I didn't get a good look at it. No big deal, I just drop the dubia at her burrow entrance and he hastily takes it down. She sat there for a moment, and a not-so-teeny sling comes waddling up to mama's meal. And then another. And then another. I counted about a dozen larger slings, all 0.5"-0.75" before I scared them off and everyone retreated underground.

So, yeah. I've got a communal now. That was a nice surprise. I've got no idea how many slings are actually down there. I plan on rehousing mainly because her burrow isn't really conducive to house the hoard. Less substrate, more anchor points is the plan. I'll probably allow them to molt one more time before doing that.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
We are family
I got all my sisters with me
We are family
Get up everybody and sing

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Almost a year, that's very interesting.

Eh, no pictures, probably a made up story though :troll:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Almost a year, that's very interesting.

Eh, no pictures, probably a made up story though :troll:
I've got no idea when the sac was laid. I'm sure I lost quite a few slings to cannibalism simply because I wasn't feeding like I should have - in my mind, I was feeding a mature female. Not a brood.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've got no idea when the sac was laid. I'm sure I lost quite a few slings to cannibalism simply because I wasn't feeding like I should have - in my mind, I was feeding a mature female. Not a brood.
Be curious to see how many you have! I think it's pretty interesting myself. Let me know if you are going to sell any ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Be curious to see how many you have! I think it's pretty interesting myself. Let me know if you are going to sell any ;)
If I've got too many, I probably will be selling off the excess. I don't really know how many eggs M. balfouri typically make, so it'll be interesting to see what comes out of that webbing.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Shows that mama M. balfouri is a caring mama. Congratulations on having a brood!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
That's a nice surprise! I intentionally left the sac to hatch with my female to see her care for them. I have a bunch of 1st instars running around in her web castle.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yay for a surprise sac! I'm looking forward to photos!