Surprise eggs! and some concern

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Welp, One of our G. sp "northern" has just decided to lay eggs Hooray...kinda. I was suspecting she was in premolt from the fat abdomen. I believe she is still dropping them. I felt a swell on concern when I saw the eggs pooling on the substrate. She laid down a think mat of webbing, the eggs are just sliding off onto the substrate. Is this supposed to happen? I didnt think eggs were supposed to do that. Posting pics ASAP!
20161120_184336.jpg
20161120_184345.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Happened to me last night and there is nothing you can do with it. I hope she does her best to recover. Mine just ate them after spilling the sac.
IMG_0716.JPG

This sucks uts happening to you too. :(

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
There still a good amount that she's laying Web over. you can't scoop them up with a spoon and lay them on the Web mat?
They are that frigile that if you did that it would scramble them.

.. also if tou diaturb the mumma while she is in the middle of making it she may abandon

Last edited:

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Another thought has just crossed my mind. She had to have been wild caught since I got her from an lps. What if the male was a G. porteri or rosea, would that be possible? For the slings to be slight hybrids?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Another thought has just crossed my mind. She had to have been wild caught since I got her from an lps. What if the male was a G. porteri or rosea, would that be possible? For the slings to be slight hybrids?
If she was wild caught, any males that would've paired with her would've been sp. "Northern Type" males.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
If she was wild caught, any males that would've paired with her would've been sp. "Northern Type" males.
Good to know. Is that because there is a large enough area with only "northen type" that no other species would have been able to get to her? Or just because they have to be the same species?

cold blood

Staff member
Once when I saw this, the mom did manage to gather many of the eggs (after eating a bunch). She rolled them into what was a poorly made sac, carried them for 24 days and then just ate them.

If yours is successful, ride that luck...go buy some lottery tickets!

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Once when I saw this, the mom did manage to gather many of the eggs (after eating a bunch). She rolled them into what was a poorly made sac, carried them for 24 days and then just ate them.

If yours is successful, ride that luck...go buy some lottery tickets!
Thankfully a majority were still kept safe :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How do you know this to be true? I'm not familiar w/their geography, are you? If you have a species map let's see it! ;)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
How do you know this to be true? I'm not familiar w/their geography, are you? If you have a species map let's see it! ;)
Hm, I read about it in a thread, though I cannot confirm anything

" As for the debate on the Grammostola sp. of Chile, you and I are not taxonomists. People are comparing photos which is not the way to identify them 100%. The Chile exporter has sold this species as Grammostola sp. "North" because they are collected far north of the population range of G. porteri and not near G. rosea "Red Rose Hair" "
Quote from @xenesthis here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/grammostola-sp-north.151248/

I'll see if I can dig up anything else...

Estein

Arachnoknight
Best of luck! I'll be watching for updates. And congrats on that A. metallica sac. :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
feed her up well. One juicy dubia a week until she refuses. Just to be safe as you dont want her to see the sac as a meal.

Laying sacs uses a lot of energy so they need the nutrients and the other goodness back after doing so.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I am going to be placing many anchor points in the corners of enclosures for all species from now on. They can use these to make appropriate web hammocks and hopefully avoid spillages. This only happened to me the other night but I dont want it happening again

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
so How soon should you feed a T after she's laid the sac?
After the sac is laid, I almost never feed the female until I take the sac away. The time between the paring and the laying of the sac, the female should basically be fed as much as she wants. A fat t can put more of those reserves toward those eggs, and be easily able to go the 30 days without food.

I've only had 3 females eat sacs, twice it was like the aforementioned poorly constructed, partially eaten sac, the other was a double clutch I didn't expect, and I didn't feed her like I should have, because I didn't expect a double clutch. :banghead: