Surprise egg sack

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Surprise egg sack-UPDATE- eggs with legs

I tried breeding my P. cambridgie 3 months ago, the female wasn't interested but I left the male with her for a week or so. She looked to be going into premolt so I removed the male and have been waiting for her to molt so I could breed them.
I decided to check on her today to see if she had molted yet and to my surprise she has a egg sack, so either the male got his job done or its a dud.

I have no idea when it was laid or what I should do now. I don't really want it to hatch with her but I don't want to pull it early since I don't have a mechanical mum. I am not even close to being prepared for this, any suggestions would be great.

If I do pull it and its too soon, will she take it back? Please respond soon as I'm completely freaked out!

Update.

I decided to pull the sack, glad I did:clap:

Last edited:

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you weren't ready for them why did you breed her in the first place? Sorry, I had to ask.:)

Pull the sac at around day 30. Put it in a hammock and rotate it a few times a day to make sure the eggs don't stick together. You can search the boards for how to make the hammock. Sorry, I don't have time to locate that particular thread.

Have fun pulling the sac. It took me 30 minutes to get the sac from my P. irminia. She put up the worst fight I've ever experienced. Not to scare you or anything.:D

BTW, congrats on the sac!

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't know she had been bred, for the week I had them together I never saw her out of her cave and when ever the male got close to her she would slap him. I had plans to bred them after she molted and have been waiting for that.

I don't know when the sack was laid, the female has been webbed up in her hollow log for about 2 months now, I thought she was in pre molt.

I think I'll go ahead and pull it, I have hubby working on a make shift machanical mum now in case I need it. I already have the hammock ready.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well well looks like you might have your hands full with 80-120 babies or so. Congrats on the "accidental success". I love when I am suprised by a sac when I though I was waiting for a molt.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:clap: Congrats on the accidental sac. Looks like its going to be successful. That sac must have been laid a couple of weeks ago, no?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At least 4 weeks maybe 5. Unless the temps were higher then maybe mid third week. I only have two juvies and I think they are both male, so maybe Ill buy some of your slings and try to get a female this time.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At least 4 weeks maybe 5. Unless the temps were higher then maybe mid third week. I only have two juvies and I think they are both male, so maybe Ill buy some of your slings and try to get a female this time.
I will also love to buy some.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow! Glad you decided to pull the sac. They look great! Did she put up much of a fight?

You were fortunate not to have to play the waiting game to pull the sac. I wish I wouldn't see mine for a while. That way it wouldn't worry me so much.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks, she didn't really fight too much. I have a large hollow log that has a 2" opening in it that she useds as a hide, I just reached in the hole and grabbed the sack (with tongs of course). She tried to pull it back some but gave up easily.

I'll probably start selling them around 2nd instar or so. I've never packed tiny slings so I may wait until they are a bit bigger though.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks, she didn't really fight too much. I have a large hollow log that has a 2" opening in it that she useds as a hide, I just reached in the hole and grabbed the sack (with tongs of course). She tried to pull it back some but gave up easily.

I'll probably start selling them around 2nd instar or so. I've never packed tiny slings so I may wait until they are a bit bigger though.

Let me know as soon as you start selling :}