Surprise egg sac

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
So my G. Sp North has been sealed up inside her clay pot hiding spot for 3 weeks. I thought she was just molting and paid it no attention. Today I noticed she broke out of the sealed hide and her abdomen was smaller. I went to look for a molt and found an egg sac instead. She has never been mated as far as I know. I've had her for 3 months and bought her from a guy on the boards. Could it be just a dud sack? How can I tell?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'd reach out to that user. My money is on a phantom sac for sure, but maybe you got lucky and he shipped you a paired female by accident.

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
I'd reach out to that user. My money is on a phantom sac for sure, but maybe you got lucky and he shipped you a paired female by accident.
Not sure about lucky, lol. Not ready to be a a T daddy just yet.

I reached out to the guy and waiting to here back.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not sure about lucky, lol. Not ready to be a a T daddy just yet.

I reached out to the guy and waiting to here back.
You really should raise them and sell/give them away. It isn't like Chile's borders are opening up anytime soon.

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
Oh trust me if it is fertile I will take care of them once I figure out how. But would she leave the sac if it was fertile?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oh trust me if it is fertile I will take care of them once I figure out how. But would she leave the sac if it was fertile?
She'll carry it around for awhile before abandoning it or eating it. She'll more likely eat it.

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
So the guy I got her from says it could be possible since he didn't have her long before selling her to me. He said I would know in 40 days or so. What should I do in preparation? Should I set up an incubator now or wait and see what potential mom does? Wife is not happy.

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
Also if she was in the hide for 3 weeks how would I know when the sac was dropped exactly?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Here is a pic of the eggs. I pulled the sac and put them in an incubator. How can you tell if they are viable without waiting?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you not supposed to open them up before 30 days because the risk of desiccation is higher when they aren't formed? But if they are viable, write me down for a trio ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Its really hard to tell from that pic but it sort of looks like the very early stages of EWLs..

Am I seeing things or is there some development on the outer edges?

I understand why the op opened the sac.. It had been 3 weeks since he last saw the T. Knowing that some females will disapear for a week/ few weeks to make a brood chamber I would of given the sac a week maybe ten days before I opened the sac. Keep the humidity up in the incubator container and swirl eggs gently( like swirling ice cubes in a glass) once or twice a day..

Op. It's not terribly uncommon for female Ts to leave the sac for a few minutes to grab a drink or search for a meal.. It's nerve racking when they do it so I can see why you pulled the sac. Good luck.

Last edited:

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
Is it ok to touch the eggs with my fingers to move them around? There is no outer development as of now. I'm keeping the humidity up and hoping for the best.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Is it ok to touch the eggs with my fingers to move them around? There is no outer development as of now. I'm keeping the humidity up and hoping for the best.
I wouldn't, as with the oils and such on human skin, I feel that would cause dessication quickly.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Don't. Whatever is on your hands could be transferred to them. They're more susceptible at this stage since they don't have the 'hard' exoskeleton that the adults have.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
She's probably WC and I'd bet the sac is viable. Congrats! Just keep them humid and move them enough to keep them from sticking together.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I hope it's okay to ask this here. I don't want to start a new thread for it. Why does the egg sac need to be removed? Obviously, in the wild, tarantulas reproduce without that. I know there is a reason. I'm just curious what it is.