Suprise Usumbara Moult

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yesterday my usumbara was acting a little weird. In it's webbed perch at the top of the tank it was upside down. I know this is a dead giveaway for moulting... but I wasn't too sure. It hadn't been eating since I got it, but it's color hadn't changed at all. I misted the tank lightly just to be sure. I came home from a hockey game and it was sitting on top of it's molted exoskeleton. Pleasant suprise. This morning I got the exuvia while it was out and about and it's a neat thing to look at as this is my first moult. I'm just worried because the abdomen is REALLY REALLY SMALL. And it has been so for a while. I just hope it eats in a few days after it's fangs and exoskeleton have hardened.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nothing to worry about... everything sounds normal. Give it a few days to a week and then feed it plenty. I wish my P. terror would molt like that. Mine molts inside a webbed burrow of sorts and by the time I get the exuvium, there isn't much left of it. I don't know that misting for that species is necessary, but I doubt it hurts much if your just misting prior to/during a molt... as long as you're not misting the T itself or causing too much stress.

Botar

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Nothing to worry about... everything sounds normal. Give it a few days to a week and then feed it plenty. I wish my P. terror would molt like that. Mine molts inside a webbed burrow of sorts and by the time I get the exuvium, there isn't much left of it. I don't know that misting for that species is necessary, but I doubt it hurts much if your just misting prior to/during a molt... as long as you're not misting the T itself or causing too much stress.

Botar
Mine would have moulted in it's hide, but two weeks ago it left it's hide and started hangingout on the top of the cage. It hasn't been to the ground since. You are right that misting is not necessary. They're tough as nails. And yes, it is a good idea to mist prior to moulting. I just hope that it will eat a ton soon so that it's abdomen becomes normal size.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
YIt hadn't been eating since I got it, but it's color hadn't changed at all.
Because old world species don't have urticating hairs and, hence, bald or thinned areas, it's unusual to be able to detect color changes with them prior to a moult.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: Suprise Usumbara Moult

Originally posted by Code Monkey
Because old world species don't have urticating hairs and, hence, bald or thinned areas, it's unusual to be able to detect color changes with them prior to a moult.
True.. Very good point, it makes sense. But the color now, post-moult, is a peachy fade of its regular color.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Did you look for tibal spurs? Seems alot of males have been making the seen lately. Just a thought.

Ernie

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Did you look for tibal spurs? Seems alot of males have been making the seen lately. Just a thought.

Ernie
I'm not too familiar with what tibial spurs look like. I know what the "boxing gloves" look like, but I think this species gets tibial spurs.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fang color

I forgot to ask... I know that the fangs are usually white after a moult, and then fade to black, but my P. Murinus' fangs are not doing this. They started out white, then the next day were white with black tips, and now are red with black tips. Is something wrong with this? I haven't seen red fangs before.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: fang color

Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
I forgot to ask... I know that the fangs are usually white after a moult, and then fade to black, but my P. Murinus' fangs are not doing this. They started out white, then the next day were white with black tips, and now are red with black tips. Is something wrong with this? I haven't seen red fangs before.
Nope, nothing wrong, the red is an intermediate color they go through before darkening completely.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: fang color

Originally posted by Code Monkey
Nope, nothing wrong, the red is an intermediate color they go through before darkening completely.
*sigh of relief*

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

hey, it sounds normal to me, and another thing, everything happens to my tarantula when i am at a hockey game, or playing one!

James