D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
For those that use worms as feeders
how do you stop them from digging down and burying themselves in the substrate
before being eaten

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Crush the heads... you should be doing that anyway, by the way. Superworms/mealworms aren't worms at all, they're larvae. They've got nasty mandibles and can re-emerge later and kill a molting tarantula. Worse yet, they can pupate and turn into beetles who will do the same thing.

cold blood

Staff member

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Thats what I've been doing. Just thought i would check. My A. genics grab them as they hit the substrate so no need to crush. But everything else gets crushed or cut in pieces.
Thanks for the feed back

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron

This is what happens when superworms are left to burrow.....they turn to beetles and emerge when a food source presents its self...which will be the tarantula, when it molts.

Crush heads, don't let your tarantula become a buffet.
time to clean out some T enclosures * awkward laugh*

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

This is what happens when superworms are left to burrow.....they turn to beetles and emerge when a food source presents its self...which will be the tarantula, when it molts.

Crush heads, don't let your tarantula become a buffet.
Holy crap...give a woman some warning next time will you? That picture was like a punch in the face :hurting: poor GBB...:(

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
1. Its an old pic I held onto for educational purposes.

2. Its most certainly not my t. The pic was sent to my phone from a concerned owner looking for explanations.
I meant cleaning out my own enclosures at home.
Didn't mean for to sound like I was trying to tell you what to do

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I crush half the head on all meal or superworms. They won't burrow, and will still move around to entice the spider.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

Not saying you shouldn't crush the heads, but I prefer feeding them live to my larger Ts, you get a better feeding response from an active worm then a dead one. As a fishermen, I'm sure you understand ;)

Why leave it to burrow? If the animal isn't interested simply remove the worm. If I'm feeding a smaller T I always pre kill supers cause they can put up a fight. I feed my larger Ts superworms without issues and I don't always crush the head. But of course, don't leave them in there if they don't hit them right away.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
If I had a bunch of slings to feed, I'd crush the heads to save time. But otherwise I'd just wait until the tarantula either grabs it or ignores it and just take it out. Watching a tarantula pounce is where the fun is, right? Just watch it to make sure it grabs it imo.

cold blood

Staff member
Not saying you shouldn't crush the heads, but I prefer feeding them live to my larger Ts, you get a better feeding response from an active worm then a dead one. As a fishermen, I'm sure you understand ;)
Funny you should bring that up...fact is that the single biggest issue most have fishing soft plastics is that they impart too much action...the technique known as "dead sticking" is incredibly effective. More often than not, less action will result in significantly more bites. (hopefully I just made you a more effective fisherman;))

I've never once had a feeding response issue with a worm with a crushed head. But keep in mind, theyre not dead with a crushed head...they still move and wiggle, often for days...they just don't burrow.

No problem if you don't as long as you retrieve the worm before it burrows away.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I've never once had a feeding response issue with a worm with a crushed head. But keep in mind, theyre not dead with a crushed head...they still move and wiggle, often for days...they just don't burrow.
When I crush a mealworm/superworm's head, they always just stop moving and appear to be dead. They start moving when Regina bites, but she usually waits a few minutes to see if the worm will move before she actually grabs it. And it's the gentlest, most nonchalant bite ever.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Funny you should bring that up...fact is that the single biggest issue most have fishing soft plastics is that they impart too much action...the technique known as "dead sticking" is incredibly effective. More often than not, less action will result in significantly more bites. (hopefully I just made you a more effective fisherman;))

No problem if you don't as long as you retrieve the worm before it burrows away.
Next time I go jigging for walleye I'll try your technique. So less lure action = more bites? Interesting theory, I look forward to giving it a shot, and as far as crushing the head goes, when I do it they always die for some reason. You must be buying some tough superworms,that or maybe I'm over crushing them lol...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeah, if you completely flatten the head then they tend to stop moving unless grabbed, if you partially crush them then they just writhe about for a bit.