Superworm Experiment is a Bust

Trenor

Arachnoprince
How long are you leaving them in? Some of mine will duck back and I just put the lid back on. A bit later they go pick the prey item up.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
How long are you leaving them in? Some of mine will duck back and I just put the lid back on. A bit later they go pick the prey item up.
I didn't leave them in that long because their reaction was mostly to be freaked out. If their reaction was more of a 'meh', then I probably would have left them in longer like I do the crickets.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I didn't leave them in that long because their reaction was mostly to be freaked out. If their reaction was more of a 'meh', then I probably would have left them in longer like I do the crickets.
I'd leave them in for a bit more time and see what happens. If the heads are mashed they can't harm the T. Once they get use to them they might feed better.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
The same result is what I had with horned worms, but none of my Ts wanted them.... $42... gone all I can do is laugh it off in frustration lol

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'd leave them in for a bit more time and see what happens. If the heads are mashed they can't harm the T. Once they get use to them they might feed better.
Yes, I'm going to take everyone's advice and try a few different things. I am going to let them get a bit hungrier too. I have 48 more to go, so I have a bit of time to continue experimenting.
I really do want this to work because I would rather not have the crickets around. If I can get the majority to take them, I might only have to buy a few crickets that I can feed to them right away.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The same result is what I had with horned worms, but none of my Ts wanted them.... $42... gone all I can do is laugh it off in frustration lol
When getting new feeders I only buy a few bucks worth till I see how I do. The horn worms I had were really big and fat so only my biggest ts could make use of them without cutting one into chunks. I got 20 for 12 dollars at the show. Most of them got fed off to the big Ts though I did end up passing a few off to the bearded dragon. Over all I don't have a good source for them so it's not worth it to me to buy them as a staple feeder.

Yes, I'm going to take everyone's advice and try a few different things. I am going to let them get a bit hungrier too. I have 48 more to go, so I have a bit of time to continue experimenting.
I really do want this to work because I would rather not have the crickets around. If I can get the majority to take them, I might only have to buy a few crickets that I can feed to them right away.
Good luck. :)

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
When getting new feeders I only buy a few bucks worth till I see how I do. The horn worms I had were really big and fat so only my biggest ts could make use of them without cutting one into chunks. I got 20 for 12 dollars at the show. Most of them got fed off to the big Ts though I did end up passing a few off to the bearded dragon. Over all I don't have a good source for them so it's not worth it to me to buy them as a staple feeder.

Good luck. :)
I feel much better now , when I tried the first time to feed horned worms to my
Ts no one wanted anything to do with the them.

but I tried again tonight and my 3 P. Platyommas all took them.

But my G iheringi turned her "nose" up at another one, the previous one I found in her water dish not sure if it climbed in there or she put it in there.

So far none of my aboreals ( p rufilata -2 slings, P irmina -2 slings, and Tapinauchenius Cupreus (adults might be sub) will eat them.

Some success is better than none!!!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nearly all of my tarantulas, OW and NW alike, will take superworms. I have a couple of Brachypelma that prefer superworms over anything else. I just drop one near the T or on the webbing. If the T doesn't take it immediately, I pull the worm before it can burrow.
Tarantulas can be picky. Most of mine won't touch dubia at all. Most do take silk or hornworms, though I had an LP that would bury alive anything that wasn't cricket or superworm.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have Ts that have zero interested in superworms. I only buy one as test, but that's not always possible for owners.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Well, Marcus the scorpion is loving his superworm. It is sticking out of his mouth like a big cigar right now. If all else fails, he can eat the bulk of the remaining 47.
:rolleyes:

sezra

Arachnosquire
i swapped from crickets to super worms last month and thankfully all of my Ts take them. I hate keeping crickets because they stink and never seem to last very long despite the fact that i feed them and look after them.

I tried meal worms but they pupate way too quickly and go to waste. Super worms are perfect because they dont smell, they dont die after a week and they dont pupate when kept together.

cold blood

Staff member
i swapped from crickets to super worms last month and thankfully all of my Ts take them. I hate keeping crickets because they stink and never seem to last very long despite the fact that i feed them and look after them.

I tried meal worms but they pupate way too quickly and go to waste. Super worms are perfect because they dont smell, they dont die after a week and they dont pupate when kept together.
1. superworms can reek.:vomit:

2. Mealworms can be kept for many many months refrigerated...they will not pupate in the fridge, you also won't need to feed them.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1. superworms can reek.:vomit:

2. Mealworms can be kept for many many months refrigerated...they will not pupate in the fridge, you also won't need to feed them.
I know I don't have to tell you this CB but it may help someone else. Most of the reek comes from the fras when it gets too wet and you get the strong ammonia smell. Make sure to limit the amount of potato and carrot you feed so it gets eaten quickly. The good thing about potato and carrot is that they usually dry out before they rot if there is plenty of ventilation. The bad side is in my experience SWs don't seem to go for them as much as they do other softer, wetter, fruits and veggies like apples or squash. I slice them very thin and simply lay them on top of the substrate and check on it the next day. most of the time its gone but sometimes I have to remove it. I keep my SWs in lidless containers so ventilation isn't a problem and I sift the frass on a weekly basis, sometimes more if I just bought a box of 1000. I've tried keeping them on a screen bottom container so the frass just falls through and it does work but I found the window screen I used allowed too many small bits of uneaten bran to fall through so I had to refill it every few days. Now one filling will last a box of 1000 for at least the week between siftings. I keep them on wheat bran and supplement some with oats and dry dog food.