Superworm dug into the ground, shall I wait for the tarantula to find it?

FloatingEye

Arachnopeon
While I was trying to give my tarantula superworm with my usual method (dropping the worm onto the tarantula's leg so that it catches it immediately) I may have put the tweezer too close. The tarantula climbed onto the tweezers instead of grabbing the worm meaning the worm had time to dig, so that's what it did. Once I got my tarantula back on the floor, the worm had just entirely gone under the ground. Will the tarantula find the superworm or will I have to dig for it? Species of the tarantula is Brachypelma Hamorii.

Last edited:

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Dig it up. In my experience, Brachypelma hamorii do not dig for food.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Dig it up and always remember to crush the heads of superworms and mealworms when feeding.

FloatingEye

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone, yep I did dig it up after some time. Also, why crush the heads? I have never done that before.

FloatingEye

Arachnopeon
So they won't dig.
Oh, I don't tend to find digging an issue though. Today was actually the first time I have had a superworm dig because I usually make them touch my tarantula's leg so the tarantula immediately knows it is there and catches it as quickly as possible.

Finikan

Arachnosupporter +
Oh, I don't tend to find digging an issue though. Today was actually the first time I have had a superworm dig because I usually make them touch my tarantula's leg so the tarantula immediately knows it is there and catches it as quickly as possible.
Off with their heads! Seriously, though. Its way more simple and dont have the risk of burrowing worms anymore.

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Just in case something like this happens again.

FloatingEye

Arachnopeon
I don't know, I just don't feel like doing that. I think my method of feeding the tarantula superworms is effective and if it ever does dig like it did today, digging for it is always a thing.

Finikan

Arachnosupporter +
You do you, bro. Just saying that your method is not most people's method, doesnt mean its bad, but if your T attacked tweezers, you might wanna try some 13" tongs to avoid a bite report, but then you still run the risk of broken fangs from making contact with the tongs.

I'd rather not have the guilt of learning the hard way. Other people have already learned it, and i can learn from their mistakes

Another thought: digging for a superworm and disturbing the tarantulas home is time better spent doing other things.

Arachnolove420

Arachnopeon
I don't know, I just don't feel like doing that. I think my method of feeding the tarantula superworms is effective and if it ever does dig like it did today, digging for it is always a thing.
When multiple different sources provide the same advice, one should take that advice.

Digging in your Ts enclosure for a lost superworm could stress it out. And there's always a chance you may not be able to find it. Furthermore, that lost superworm will turn into something that will eat your T.

The suggestions given to you are to ensure, without a doubt, that your T will be safe and well fed. As the old saying goes "better safe than sorry" so I'd suggest, as well, crush the heads cause they can dig fast and hide well in deep enough substrate.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I'd rather not have the guilt of learning the hard way. Other people have already learned it, and i can learn from their mistakes
This is honestly the best communicated attitude I’ve heard recently to taking suggestions/advice! I have learned things the hard way before and also prevented things by taking advice of members in the hobby longer than me, and when regular contributors offer advice it’s not to dismiss someone’s knowledge or attack someone’s keeping its to offer up suggestions that have come from decades of learning and trial and error that don’t needlessly need to be repeated by new people.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
If you dig it out, worst case is your spider may become stressed for a little while but will be fine. If you don't dig it out, worst case scenario is your tarantula can get eaten alive.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
thats a good way to have your t latch onto your tongs and climb up to your hand faster than you can react and if you drop the tongs you risk injury to your t then or getting bit once it gets to your fingers

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
thats a good way to have your t latch onto your tongs and climb up to your hand faster than you can react and if you drop the tongs you risk injury to your t then or getting bit once it gets to your fingers
Or it biting your tongs and breaking their fangs.

Finikan

Arachnosupporter +
This is honestly the best communicated attitude I’ve heard recently to taking suggestions/advice!
Thanks. I hoped my reply wouldnt come across as rude.

In short, what we do when we are feeding tarantulas is we are providing them with food (to hunt for, we're not spoonfeeding by touching legs to get a response) while still protecting them from becoming prey themselves.

Protecting them and their environment from situations that spell trouble for them should be number one concern.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks. I hoped my reply wouldnt come across as rude.
I mean as youve seen I'm usually direct in my responses and its not with rude intent, so I think you being direct with it is the most honest way to say it and I didnt think any part of it was rude! Good on you!

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Also, why crush the heads?
To keep them from digging, as has been said, but more importantly, to keep them from injuring your t. Like crickets, they've got huge pincers(?) that are capable of inflicting damage to your specimens, but unlike crickets--which, once incapacitated, aren't flexible enough to wrangle themselves into a compromising position--they can wriggle and curl into a position to bite. The chances of it happening? Low. Worth the risk? I personally don't think so. Crushing heads isn't a particularly pleasant experience, but it's been helpful to render them harmless and incapable of digging.