Superstition donensis

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
Hello. I saw these scorpions on Ken the Bug Guy's website and noticed that there's a lack of information on this species. I don't plan to buy one for a few years, but I wanted to put this up for anyone who has information or wants to know more about them. All I know is that they're very small (25 mm as adults), so I assume things like pinhead crickets and fruit flies would be the best food for them (though this is purely conjecture on my part).

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very small but awesome species. Most American scorpions are not as sought after, unless it is one of the larger species such as Hadrurus. I have had a few S. donensis over the years. First time I kept 4 or 5. All but one ended up being gravid adult females. The babies are very small, and thus very hard to take care of (in my experience). The adults will eat crickets that are at the same size or smaller than themselves. I have always kept them similar to how I keep my Diplocentrus species, 3 to 4 inches of compacted cocofiber with a decent bit of humdity. Though they are from the deserts, they seem to dehydrate very quickly in captivity if not given enough moisture.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Mine are diggers and eat well. There are so many awesome NA species.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
there are many awesome north american scorpions. we have alot of really cool dwarf species here in socal.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
@Smokehound714 I'm from SoCal also in the 714 area. What area have you come across them? I'll be out in Borrego desert next weekend hoping to maybe collect a few

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Agreed that most NA scorpions are extremely underrated. Pseudouroctonus species are awesome. And Diplocentrus are my favorite genus overall.

Yolotli

Arachnopeon
How big of a container do you keep yours in? Additionally, would the ideal terrarium for them have an arboreal or terrestrial design?

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Definitely terrestrial. Honestly, I would use anything more than maybe a 5 gallon at most. Mine were housed within small square Tupperware. Using anything too big in my opinion would be a waste of space as they aren't an incredibly active species and the ones I've had will burrow when given the chance.

I have never kept them communally but from I have been told they can tolerate each other.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
32 oz deli cups with 4 inches of sand clay mix are what I keep my Diplocentrus in with a flat piece of bark. They dig down deep. Awesome species.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
@Smokehound714 I'm from SoCal also in the 714 area. What area have you come across them? I'll be out in Borrego desert next weekend hoping to maybe collect a few
S donensis can be found in OC around moist areas. Pseudouroctonus minimus favors mesic hillsides and is found beneath stones. BTW anza borrego is a state park, collection is strictly prohibited. You can legally collect stuff around BLM (bureau of land management) lands in most cases, save for specific areas that prohibit collecting animals, like ocotillo wells or the east mesa area in imperial county

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've never found P minimus out here in San Bernardino County and my other hunting spots in other counties. Such a cool species as are all Pseudouroctonus. Anyone who finds any please contact me for trade or cash as I definitely want to acquire some.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I've never found P minimus out here in San Bernardino County and my other hunting spots in other counties. Such a cool species as are all Pseudouroctonus. Anyone who finds any please contact me for trade or cash as I definitely want to acquire some.
P minimus is a coastal species, only found on mesic (coast-facing) slopes. There is a sub-species- P minimus thompsoni- only found on the channel islands.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
When I'm out in salt n sea riding in the desert this weeken I wonder what I'll find. Family members talk about seeing tiny scorpions out there all the time

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
When I'm out in salt n sea riding in the desert this weeken I wonder what I'll find. Family members talk about seeing tiny scorpions out there all the time
The salton sea is mostly populated by paravaejovis puritanus, smeringurus mesaensis, and hadrurus arizonensis, with the occasional paruroctonus becki.