Supersonic Rodent Repellers and Tarantulas

EWarner

Arachnopeon
So, my husband and I have been fighting a rodent problem off and on in our old house. We are clean people, but our house just old and seems to attract rodents. We're considering getting on of the repellers pictured here. Our concern is, will this hurt our tarantulas? It doesn't say that it will bother insects, but I'd hate to find out later that it does. Has anyone used on of these in their house with their tarantulas? Any advice on other ways to get rid of rodents? We've done traps or all kinds and poison, but we have dogs and a two year old, so that limits where we can place those items. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

7 legged spider

Arachnopeon
Well other types that supposedly do the same thing list spiders as some of the pests they repel, however I did a bit of research and most of what I'm finding are that those types of devices are ineffective against rodents at distances of more then a couple feet. They use sound waves, which aren't powerful enough to ward off the pests.

I don't think T's can hear sound waves (I might be wrong) but those devices have speakers and the vibrations when close to the T's might annoy them.

Also I had a similar device once before because I had a problem with field mice getting into my cabinets, mine didn't work at all.

I dont think it's worth wasting your money on or risking your T's.

EWarner

Arachnopeon
Thanks. We've used them before with mixed results. I think we've decided against this for now. Not sure what we will do, as we've tried all of the remedies. The house is clean, filled in holes, yard is neat and tidy. Short of burning down the house (obviously not going to do that) not sure what we'll do.

7 legged spider

Arachnopeon
Rodents are a nuisance I never was able to clear them out myself I tried so many things it was ridiculous, in the end they started chewing wiring in the walls and ceiling and shorting out the power, I got scared the whole place would go up so I moved out. I'm not suggesting that you do that, have you tried contacting a professional and explaining the situation to them? They might have a chemical free solution that I haven't heard of.

EWarner

Arachnopeon
We have had a professional in several years ago. It did not help. The only chemical free solutions are traps and bait stations, both of which we are already doing with basically no results. We've tried peppermint oils, steel wool in the holes, covering and filling the holes, etc... We aren't in a position to move, at the moment, though at this point in considering parking my pop-up camper in my mom's yard.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Get a cat. Those sonic things are silly and don't work. I rather doubt they will do anything to deter rodents or harm a T or any spider.

EWarner

Arachnopeon
We have neighborhood cats that live near our house, not making a difference. Plus, the house belongs to my grandfather and he says no cats.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Call another exterminator then. One that will not only set and maintain traps, but will crawl around and seal entry points from the basement to attic (rodents can get in through the roof, service entry points (power, cable, phone). Get an exterminator with a guarantee.

EWarner

Arachnopeon
We've done all of that before, they keep chewing new ones. Plus with the coronavirus, no one will come into our house right now. Our regular exterminator won't even come in to spray for the ants and roach maintenance right now. We are going to have to do it ourselves.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
There is no secret technique or fancy no-mess gadget you can deploy that will solve your problem. Taps and spray foam/thick wire mesh for entry points. Knowing how and where to set the traps is a must. If you have an infestation, your traps should be getting results.

EWarner

Arachnopeon
I promise, there's an infestation but our traps aren't getting anything. We've actually had glue traps get moved by the rats. We've done mesh and expansion foam. They chew through it. At this point, I think our only option is going to be the mesh the entire underside of our house (pier and beam). They've actually chewed through the mesh vents around the eaves of our house to get into the attic crawl space.

7 legged spider

Arachnopeon
How are you placing your traps rodents are scared of open areas they run along walls to guide them, what are you using for bait, try peanut butter, cheese is a cartoon gimmick they like seeds and nuts, place more than one trap along a high traffic wall, and use small amounts of bait. I had an infestation that I couldn't get under control, but my traps were always catching them.

EWarner

Arachnopeon
We put the traps by the holes we know they're using. We use peanut butter and chocolate. We've had the rats (and we know it's rats because we hear them in the walls) actually move the traps out of they're way. We haven't caught anything in months because they're moving the traps out of the way. They chewed through the metal mesh coverings in our eaves, too.

7 legged spider

Arachnopeon
Are you using just the glue traps or do you have mechanical traps out too? I was told to avoid glue traps because they can smell the glue.

EWarner

Arachnopeon
Yes, we use mechanical traps too. They set them off, eat the bait, and move them. Even screwed some of them to the floor. Them they set Them off, eat the bait and go on about they're nasty business.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Wire bail spring traps, the large sized ones - don't use mouse traps for rats. Get a few dozen and a jar of cheap peanut butter. Put a smear of PB on the bait trip. Something they have to lick at, not a chunk of something they can run away with like a chunk of chocolate. Rats can get themselves out of weak traps. You need the very strong large ones.

The wire mesh under the house is also a good idea. Trim away any trees that can lead to the roof too.

EWarner

Arachnopeon
We use the big traps and peanut butter. They trip them and then eat the peanut butter. We have used chocolate before, but will stop using that. Sounds like I have to convince my grandfather to spend some money. I've priced hardware cloth and enough to do the entire underside for f the house is going to cost $500-600 dollars. I just can't justify that expense on a house that I don't and will never own. Same with the trees around here. They're his trees, so I have to convince him to do it.

7 legged spider

Arachnopeon
Ok try this place two traps along the wall right against each other with the trigger mechanisms pointed at each other then a board next to them in order to trip either trap the rat will have to be on top of them, the board keeps them from coming at them from the side.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
We use the big traps and peanut butter. They trip them and then eat the peanut butter. We have used chocolate before, but will stop using that. Sounds like I have to convince my grandfather to spend some money. I've priced hardware cloth and enough to do the entire underside for f the house is going to cost $500-600 dollars. I just can't justify that expense on a house that I don't and will never own. Same with the trees around here. They're his trees, so I have to convince him to do it.
Then your solution is quite simple and effective - move. Your grandfather doesn't sound very smart (no offence). The rodents are doing severe damage to the property at this point and the house is getting ruined. I assume you have some situation that prevents moving, but at this point you can't really do much else (by your own admissions).

Coradams

Arachnoknight
We have a similar problem with mice every autumn. I even had to take the fascia of the cabinets to get a nest of pinkies out from between the cabinet and the dishwasher last fall. Spring traps only catch one at a time if they don't fail. So many things can go wrong with poison. a pet could ingest it accidentally or a rodent can die in the walls. (Oh, the smell!) The best solution we found were live traps that catch multiple mice at a time like this one: https://store.doyourownpestcontrol....MIx528u-OD6QIVh4bACh11jQWfEAQYBSABEgKAMfD_BwE We have caught 3-4 at a time with this trap. this one is too small for mice but I am sure there are larger ones for rats. Also, don't kill any harmless snakes in the yard. They are significant pest control! One snake will eat a pillowcase full of mice a year!