Super worms!

Dorittos

Arachnopeon
(over grown meal worms) i was wondering this happens some times but not all ways, i will go out to pet co buy a small deli cup of super worms and next thing you know they get all mushy like there melting or rotting dose any one know what causes this? because its money going down the drain D:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Superworms (Zophobas morio) are a different species of darkling beetle than mealworms (Tenebrio molitor).

Them getting mushy/dying is likely improper care or old worms from the store.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
(over grown meal worms) i was wondering this happens some times but not all ways, i will go out to pet co buy a small deli cup of super worms and next thing you know they get all mushy like there melting or rotting dose any one know what causes this? because its money going down the drain D:
You basically said it. They are decomposing (rotting). Their internal structures are liquifying and that also causes the exoskeleton to loosen. Basically you are getting old or dead batches. Do you always check them before you leave the store? Also do you keep them in the fridge before use? I find this same thing in my roach cages when they die and I don't find them within a day or two. Higher temps and humidity increase the speed at which they "melt".

At anyrate the one thing I always suggest is ditch the expensive worms and invest in a colony of feeder roaches. They pay for themselves very quickly and are fun to keep.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also do you keep them in the fridge before use?
Superworms will die if kept in the refrigerator.

Roaches have their place, but so do superworms, plus superworms are fun to keep(the whole not pupating till they are alone thing is also handy). :)

Dorittos

Arachnopeon
You basically said it. They are decomposing (rotting). Their internal structures are liquifying and that also causes the exoskeleton to loosen. Basically you are getting old or dead batches. Do you always check them before you leave the store? Also do you keep them in the fridge before use? I find this same thing in my roach cages when they die and I don't find them within a day or two. Higher temps and humidity increase the speed at which they "melt".

At anyrate the one thing I always suggest is ditch the expensive worms and invest in a colony of feeder roaches. They pay for themselves very quickly and are fun to keep.
i see yea i check em there all ways fine then sundently bam they start dying after 2 days well not all ways this batch i just bought is fine but every now and then they just all die its like it speeds from one to the othere

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Superworms and waxworms die and decompose quickly after being refridgerated. Waxworms though at least have brown or black spots on them before they die...

arachnidsrulz12

Arachnosquire
Superworms and waxworms die and decompose quickly after being refridgerated. Waxworms though at least have brown or black spots on them before they die...

they don't want the superworm to change into beetle that why they freez or refridgerate it

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they don't want the superworm to change into beetle that why they freez or refridgerate it
Superworms must be isolated and placed in complete darkness to pupate, all cooling does is kill them.. Mealworms can be refrigerated to slow their development.

Let me say this again, superworms (Z. morio) will die when refrigerated.

arachnidsrulz12

Arachnosquire
Superworms must be isolated and placed in complete darkness to pupate, all cooling does is kill them.. Mealworms can be refrigerated to slow their development.

Let me say this again, superworms (Z. morio) will die when refrigerated.
yeah, that mean they don't know what they are doing

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I stand corrected then. I've never used super worms, only meal worms...I thought they were just a bigger form of the same thing. Reasons like this are why I joined sites like this, to learn. :)

Dorittos

Arachnopeon
this new bunch i got so far have been okays no problems yet
i guess the ones i got where just very old. ill start a dubia colony next week any ways so i can say bye bye to crickets and super worms lol