Super-TINY slings.....HELP!!!

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, a few weeks ago I caught a weird spider, one of those that wait under the flowers and attack anything that lands on them. She made an eggsack and today that I checked on her, she was dead. So i tried to take the sack of the wall of the jar she was in and VOILA!! it opened and TINY slings started roaming around. After collecting them carefully I've put them in a plastic party-glass.
So, I need advice. Should I put them on sth humid, like a piece of wet paper?
I put a squeezed-head mealworm there but none of them seems interested, any tips? A cricket maybe?
Any advice that could be helpful is welcome.

Wish me luck.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
some pet stores sell scuttle flies in a jar with this odd blue-ish gell. im not sure how small your slings are, but scuttle flies are pretty small

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have some tiny slings too... I give them some small termites after 2 weeks they came out... I think they first eat from the egg sack

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Guys, I live in GREECE!!! There's no way I'm finding flies in a pet-shop or termites. Except if I can catch those term. in the wild.

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr
Guys, I live in GREECE!!! There's no way I'm finding flies in a pet-shop or termites. Except if I can catch those term. in the wild.
=D I live in VENEZUELA... our pet-shop are not the best eather. I cach the terms in the wild. Go to a forest place and break some sticks.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
You can find termite everywhere in the world except Antartica, their population right now out weighs the total human population oh the entire planet. It's proven that in ever acre of land there are at least 7 termite colonies. Your best bet to find them is to find a forested area, and break apart some rotting wood, or just dig where you see lots of twigs. Even if you aren't close to a forest, there are termites that eat grass as the majority of their food, so you could just try digging a few inches into the soil in fields to see if you run accross some. Do make sure if you are on someone else land to have permission to be there and fill the places you've dug out back up with the live grass on top...

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wont be able to visit a forest or a field untill nextweekend. So, cant they just feed on sth dead?!?!?!

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry guys but I'm gonna reply in Greek cause it's easier....

Dokimase na ta taiseis tis mikres pseires pou pianoun ta fyta pou exeis sto balkoni sou...
Xereis kati mikres maures kai prasines, sta meoi mou tis lene kai mousitses.
Sigoura tha vreis tetoies pantou kai an oxi sto balkoni sou sigoura sta dentrakia sta pezodromia.

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wont be able to visit a forest or a field untill nextweekend. So, cant they just feed on sth dead?!?!?!
Im not sure what the greek part says... but do not worry... they are strong... and if they can wait untill next weekend there is no problem... they chose the most weaks and eat them. Only put a small wet cotton to make sure they have water.

Ines

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those damn F#$@@%^$@ are a real pain in the (you know what) .I first put them in a plastic cup. They moved on the top of it and made a web. So i put the whole thing in a bigger jar. Noooooo, they couldnt stay as they were, they moved even higher making more web. :mad: :mad: I'll do what Vardoulas said: Find some "Lices" in the garden or in nearby trees.

About housing them, since they always move higher, I'll make a new home with the lid on the bottom. :p

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll make a new home with the lid on the bottom. :p
That´s a great idea... Ill sure use it in my next slings

Ines

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
or you can simply turn the cup you have them now upside down!
They will move to the top and you can feed them from below.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by vardoulas
or you can simply turn the cup you have them now upside down!
They will move to the top and you can feed them from below.
Well, :rolleyes: that's what I did. Only gotta go look 4 food now.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, I tried loking for food and I found a place full of tiny"Flies". The problem is they were too small to handle so I let the slings free. There's way too much food there and I feel I did the right thing given that I wouldnt be able to feed them all and care for them properly.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
come to my house, seems like we had an outbreak of gnats or fruit flies. how many slings are there? if you dont think you can handle the whole lot of them you can always play "darwin" and allow the fittest to survive. have them eat eachother until theyre big enough, or till the numbers are more manageble. didnt want to sound like a bad guy, but its an idea. :?