Super newbie

Pizzasupport22

Arachnopeon
I currently decided after long years of deciding and research to obtain my first turantula. Being the newbie that I am I picked up my T from the petstore. I bought a brachypelma sp. What I believe is a boehmei . She's probably only 2 to 2.5 inches. When I found her she was in a very small critter keeper with no floor space at all and a live feeder chilling in with her. She is also missing alot of the hair on her abdomen which I'm assuming is due to stress. She's in a longer, enclosure that's not super deep with about 3 to 4 inches of substrate. No heat mats, lamps or lights. She does have a hide and a eater dish. I've only had her about a week I tried to offer food once or twice she didn't take it (and maybe that's a mistake hense the post.) I really wanna do right by this T I've wanted one for so long any tips, tricks, guidance or anything would be wonderful . I'm just so afraid I'm doing something wrong or am going to do something wrong. So anything at all would be wonderful.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What’s an eater dish????

General tip- read through the forum here, not stupidtube! Tube is monkey see monkey do!

There’s too much info to write that you may know already - waste of time, others will provide general info

Ask specific questions if you have them

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Hey there! You're in the right place, this forum is a wealth of knowledge. I assume "eater dish" is water dish? From reading your post it seems like everything is correct and the tarantula is healthy, but I suggest uploading a picture of both the spider and the whole enclosure if you can! Check out the large archive of posts on here, and Tom's Big Spiders on youtube is good for visual learning.

Pizzasupport22

Arachnopeon
What’s an eater dish????

General tip- read through the forum here, not stupidtube! Tube is monkey see monkey do!

There’s too much info to write that you may know already - waste of time, others will provide general info

Ask specific questions if you have them
Water dish Typo sorry lol. Will do thank you^-^

rock

Arachnoknight
Welcome to the tarantula keepers club! Sounds like you have a decent start already but keep researching, there’s always something more to learn. Don’t add any supplemental heat or light, believe it or not the enclosure you describe is a good environment for your new baby. You can offer food a couple of times a week, just remove anything uneaten within 24hrs.
Brachypelma was a great choice, they’re not fussy about husbandry and are docile. Do be mindful of the urticating hairs they have, try not to rub your eyes after working with the T. You will find answers to most questions that pop up via the search bar on this site, but don’t be afraid to ask questions.
That being said, a picture would be awesome so we can give more specific advice

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Pics of the tarantula and setup would be helpful.

When I found her she was in a very small critter keeper with no floor space at all
How small? Unlike other animals tarantulas don't require a lot of floor space, too much space can have a negative impact on feeding/behaviour/growth. From 2" until around 3.5" I keep them in small kritter keepers (9" x 6" x 6").

She is also missing alot of the hair on her abdomen which I'm assuming is due to stress.
They also kick hairs off around their burrow/hide entrances to deter any potential trespassers and on their moulting mats when they moult (any bald patches will have turned black by this point) so bald doesn't necessarily equal stress.

I've only had her about a week I tried to offer food once or twice she didn't take it (and maybe that's a mistake hense the post.)
A tarantula not eating isn't really any cause for concern, Brachypelma are slower growing species with very low food requirements which means they can go a ridiculous amount of time without food, it also makes it very easy to overfeed them (especially since up until now it's probably been fed on some generic care sheet nonsense schedule by the pet shop), at 2" I feed mine once a fortnight, at 3" I feed once every 3 weeks, once they pass 4" they only need to eat once a month at most. If it's the tarantula in your profile pic then it probably doesn't need to eat again until after it moults.