Suntiger is finally Molting!

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Happy to announce that after about 3 weeks of not eating my 2 1/2" P. Irminia is finally molting... unfortunately I do not have a camera or else I would try and take pics although I dont know how I would as she is doing it inside her web where I have no good view. All I have to say is finally! I have been worried about her and now no more worries... well as long as she molts just fine that is! Also this is my first T to molt in my possesion. So im hopin for the best.

peace

TheDon

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Ok well I must have either missed it happening or she just did it really quick because she is done... she is a lighter color right now but im sure all the black will come back when she hardens up... glad to say that it looks like it was 100% succesful... no limbs lost from what I can see.

Woohoo

peace

TheDon

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
congrats buddy!

how much length did the T gain (do you know?)...
Yours stay in their webs? funny, mine def. don't... my new 2.5 incher built a frame of a web, but nothing else really.

i bet youre stoked huh? :)

peace
dave

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
damn straight im stoked... im not sure how big it is yet. Im waiting for her to come out of her web... im pretty sure once she hardens up and all that she will be out and about like she used to be. Plus I think I am going to change her into a diff tank cause I really dont like the one she is in... i have to take the whole lid off to do anything and I dont like that with such a speedy T. I will keep you posted on the size change when she ventures out. but from what I have read they usually gain about 3/4 of an inch... so she should be about 3 - 3 1/2 inchs.

peace

TheDon

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Oh and Dave if you are still around can u pop on IRC so I can ask you a few questions? thnx

TheDOn

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Ok well I have seen her sitting about halfway up the wall and she definately grew alot. I would say she is definately over 3" now I will get a better estimate tomorrow.

and I think maybe she may have lost one of her pedipalps but im not 100% sure... hard to see her as she is still lazing around inside her web.

TheDon

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't have IRC man, but PM me!!!! and give him/her some time to come out and then check for the pedipalp.. no big loss if its lost...

i'll answer anything i can my friend
peace
dave

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Oh ok... well I was just gonna ask about the color or the suntiger after it molted it looked a white fleshy color and just wanted to know if that was normal... I figured it was just wanted to double check. Turns out i figured right and it was normal because she is back to her black color with orange. And I can see both her pedipalps now so she lost absolutely, nothing her fangs look perfect and all of her legs are there. First Molt for any of my tarantulas and it came out 100%. Now I do have a couple other questions... how long does it take for them to 100% harden up, as the fangs still look a little white, and when do u think it will be safe for me to move her to a new tank? I dont like the one she is in now plus I want to change the substrate.

anyways get back to me

thnx

TheDon

oh and also when is it safe to take the molt away from her... she seems to have moved it so i hope she hasnt broken it.

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice to see themolt went well!!!

id say you can take the molt away whenever you want.. some people leave it in for a while, some people never move it.. really up to you.. i dont think it will have any adverse effects,but thats just my opinion.

as for when its ok to eat? when the fangs are a nice black colour!

its quicker when they're younger, but as they get older, it can take a while before they eat. For instance, my adult P.formosa just molted and i'll say at least a week till food goes in. Arboreals are easy to see,since they're usually on a wallsomewhere and you can see the fangs.

good luck!
peace
dave

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Ya she is pretty mush always pressed up against the wall inside her web so I can see her fangs and they are still kinda white so I am definately gonna wait till those change because I dont want her to injure a fang... and the reason I was wondering about the taking the molt is because when i stick the needle nose pliers in to take it away I dont want her to attack my pliers while tryin to steal her molt and then injure a fang... im so happy that she came through ok she is definately one of my favs and i really wanna see her mature into an Adult they look so amazing when they are big. Thnx for the replies they are much appreciated.

peace

TheDon