Sunburst Diving Beetles (56k warning)

Villosa

Arachnopeon
Just got 11 of these guys in this morning and already two of them got themselves butchered when I was at school...I fear non-stop feeding on my part coming soon...darn.

I think they're so into feeding that when they accidentily bite each other it's usually fatal or near fatal and that causes them to swarm the injured. when they're not feeding they just sit around and sometimes males will try to grab a female (which usually lasts only a few seconds)

Anyway here are some pictures. My plan with these guys is to start a breeding program and to study if controlled feedings will lead to larger beetle sizes and also time of development. That is if they don't murder each other...

Stuff like this gets each other killed, I feed smaller worms now that can be scattered instead on a single piece of food.

Look who snuck into the shipment...a backswimmer.

Additions:

Setup: 6 gallon tank

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
awesome! ya finaly got em! that's great:clap: enjoy em they are a trip to keep.

Villosa

Arachnopeon
Yeah I finally decided to drop the money for these...just couldn't hold out anymore. They're so fun to watch, swimming about like little boats with paddles. And did I mention beautiful, I mean wow, absolutely beautiful beetles and of a good size too.

Last edited:

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
insane where did you get those???? im in cali lol

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh wow those are beautiful O_O. how big are they?

Villosa

Arachnopeon
The biggest ones are about 15mm, usually female. Males are about 10-12mm and have suctions cups on their forelegs for gripping the female's back.

I've already witnessed a few matings though very fast so I'm not sure it was even successful.

Edit: so far they've taken krill, ocean plankton, and frozen bloodworms.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice! Good luck with them. If you ever want to trade babies...

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very cool. Thanks for the info... I might have to buy some of those.

Villosa

Arachnopeon
Well...no one died today, so that was good. I had to feed them a lot however, you'd be surprised just how much these little guys can eat.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
excellant pictures! Nice bugs. Thanks for posting.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well...no one died today, so that was good. I had to feed them a lot however, you'd be surprised just how much these little guys can eat.
oh man when i had mine they wouldn't stop eating i would put a huge frozen/thawed silverside in there.......there was nothing left in no time:eek: little piranhas w/legs i tell ya{D had afew eat eachother here and there but not often. enjoy yours:)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They will also eat fish food flakes. Not as much fun, I know, but you do get less of a feeding frenzy!

Most dytiscids lay eggs on emergent plants, but these apparently prefer to lay eggs in soil ajacent to the water (although I've seen pics of eggs on plants also). There was an article on breeding these in the proceedings for the SASI Invertebrates in Captivity Conference a few years back. Might be worth looking into! If I remember correctly, the author used a large tank (like a 40 breeder) with a sloping sand "beach" as an egg laying site.

Wade

Villosa

Arachnopeon
Ah great tips as always Wade, I surely will look into that. I have black sand from my previous aquarium that will be perfect for their light-ish colored eggs. As for the frenzy, they've completely stopped that now once they've settled down and are kept well fed. I usually feed them small shrimp and they just grab a piece and take off in a hurry, more than enough to go around and they come back for seconds too.