Sunburst Baboon= OBT?

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My boss just got what I believe is an OBT for the store. He bought it as a sunburst baboon tarantula. It is about 1-2 inches LS. What kind of setup should it have? Is it even an OBT? It looks like one but Im not sure.

superfunTtime

Arachnopeon
Sunburst baboon or starburst baboon? If it's starburst, I'm pretty sure those are about as nasty as T's come.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My boss just got what I believe is an OBT for the store. He bought it as a sunburst baboon tarantula. It is about 1-2 inches LS. What kind of setup should it have? Is it even an OBT? It looks like one but Im not sure.
If it's orange and lightening fast then it's an OBT xD i'm getting one in the mail this week so i've been brushing up quite a bit on these :D they love webbing up stuff and making burrows/web tunnels. I'd say give a good amount of substrate, but with a piece of bark laying up against the side. That way he/she can web the hell out of it. Almost like an arboreal set up with terrestrial substrate? Might wanna get more opinions on that though

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Very beautiful T but very fast and likes to throw up threat poses :D but they are really tough though and grow fast

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It could also be a P. lugardi, which is much more of a burrower than P. murinus, IME. Post a pic?

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First OBT I had was sold under the name sunburst (along with the Latin name Pterinochilus murinus). Haven't noticed them being sold as starburst, but wouldn't be surprised. Common names aren't worth much - everyone seems to choose their own favorites, and pet shops can get really creative.

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its ourange and realy fast. And it loves to throw up those thret postures. I do believe it is an OBT. I wish I made that conection before my boss got it. It wasnt intill I sat it up that I made the conection. The sunburst babboon was ourange= Ourange Baboon Tarantula= OBT.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ourange Baboon Tarantula= OBT.
OBT can mean "Orange Baboon Tarantula", but I think the more common meaning is "Orange Bitey Thing". Same spider - just offer it a finger or two to understand the alternative name. :D

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know! Thats what I said to one of my coworkers!

Actual conversation:

Me looking at the label- "Oh $#!T."
her "What"
Me- "OBT"
her- "what?"
Me- "Orange Bitey Thing."
Her- "oh...$#!T"

baboonfan

Arachnopeon
undeserved reputation for the OBT

Sunburst baboon or starburst baboon? If it's starburst, I'm pretty sure those are about as nasty as T's come.
They have a bad bite, but I think they have gotten an undeserved demonic reputation. Mine is about 3/12 inches bought from a local keeper for 15 dollars.

So far I have seen some defensive behavior but nothing all that terrible. It seems more skittish than anything else. If I have to to do cage work it retreats into a skull I bought it and leaves me be.

I never let my guard down though. I do everytghing as if it is as satanic as it is supposed to be just in case.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They have a bad bite, but I think they have gotten an undeserved demonic reputation. .....

So far I have seen some defensive behavior but nothing all that terrible. It seems more skittish than anything else. If I have to to do cage work it retreats into a skull I bought it and leaves me be.
That's a good description. Ever since my first OBT they've been one of my favorites. Mine hide or flee before they throw defensive postures. They're fast, but so are a lot of other spiders that don't get this demonic reputation. I'm sure if I stuck my finger where it didn't belong or tried to handle an OBT I'd get a painful lesson, but they don't go out of their way to attack people.