Sun Spider Found!

Steven Gielis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It probably will not live for long. It's a male. They don't feed much and just keep looking for a mate.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
well, since you asked "how to keep it" (eh-hem), i have always used sand, with a little hide for them to crawl under. a damp sponge, and prey about the same size or smaller than their own body size. feed every day or every other day. they are eating machines.{D

SpyderMacFly

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info. I will be on the lookout for more and I would like to try breeding them. How do you tell a female from a male?

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Make sure to read though this thread. There is some major breakthoughs in camel spider care in it.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
feed every day or every other day. they are eating machines.{D
I wouldn't feed that often if it were me. The long-lived individual in the thread mentioned above only got one mealworm a week. I suspect overfeeding would shorten their lifespan.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I wouldn't feed that often if it were me. The long-lived individual in the thread mentioned above only got one mealworm a week. I suspect overfeeding would shorten their lifespan.
oh yeah, it will definitely shorten their lifespan, just like all the other arachnids. i guess i just like feeding mine that often b/c it's sooo much fun watching them eat {D fascinating little critters...;)

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. I will be on the lookout for more and I would like to try breeding them. How do you tell a female from a male?
oh, and they seem kinda difficult to breed, seems like the female just wants to destroy everything she comes across. had it happen so many times, gotta get the timing just right. i've only successfully bred 1 pair in captivity before. :( interesting courtship/breeding behavior must say

SpyderMacFly

Arachnopeon
I would still like to know the difference between a male and female. Once I find a female I will try my luck breeding them.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I would still like to know the difference between a male and female. Once I find a female I will try my luck breeding them.
i guess i know just by experience, sorry... but i will say this:

Males: tend to have long legs, long palps, and small bodies
Females: tend to have shorter legs, shorter palps, and much more stout bodies.

hope this helps;)

Steven Gielis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Indeed it is better to just feed them once in a week. That's keeping them active. Adult males have a deformation on the upper jaw of the chelicerae. They use it to mate. Females lack this. You have a member of the Eremobatidae family. Take a look at this link: http://www.solpugid.com/Eremobatidae.htm
You can clearly see the deformation of the upper jaw of the male. Of course they are also smaller and have longer legs. It will probably don't feed anymore because of the jaw adaptation.
If you want to breed them, find a female quick and you have to make sure they can make a burrow. African species build a big tunnel system but most American species just make temporal hidings. Maybe you can use some substrate from the natural habitat or use the composition given in the link. Give them also a stone or anything else to dig under.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Adult males have a deformation on the upper jaw of the chelicerae. They use it to mate. Females lack this. Take a look at this link: http://www.solpugid.com/Eremobatidae.htm
You can clearly see the deformation of the upper jaw of the male. Of course they are also smaller and have longer legs.
holy crap that's awesome!!!:eek: i never knew that! thanks for posting that link:worship:
good job:clap:

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Depends on size and how many you get! This offer is for everyone BTW. It will be my effort to figure out different ways to care for them due to the difficulty of keeping them alive.

magikscorps

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What about the giants from the middle east anyone know how to get your hands on one of those?:D

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
If you search the site for solifugid I think some fairly good info will come up.... I don't think keeping them has advanced very far yet, but I think a few people have had minor success', and at least kept them alive for a while.

Good luck.