Summer Hunting Trip

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am planning a trip accross southen arizona and possibly into New Mexico looking for heros. I would like to collect some S.h.arizonensis, S.h. pararizonensis and of course the S.h.castaneiceps. I have several good areas for arizona species but I am looking for some areas to look in New Mexico for S.h.castaneiceps. Can anyone here offer a couple of locations that wouldnt be to far into New Mexico where I might find some New Mexican Red Heads. Thanks

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What do You mean writing 'S.h. pararizonensis' ? :>
I've never heared about it:)

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is also refered to as "para-arizonensis" the "Tiger Barred" Heros by some of the guys that I go hunting with. I dont know if the spelling is correct but that is my guess anyways. An example is like the photo below:

Instead of the more common Desert Giant Centipede.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
those "Tiger barred" Heros are simply stunning !!!!

Is there any difference in location-data where the common
Heros var.arizonensis occur and the "tiger barred" ones ?
or are they found in the exactly same area/habitats ?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is awesome. There is also a barred S. heros heros in w tx. I plan on trying to find one this year. It's a long drive, 100s of miles. Someone here in the Austin area told me that they are almost all black in a specific area. But there is nobody out there, no place to stay and close to the border. I went there last year by myself but it was kind of spooky and I almost ran out of gas. I started with a full tank. I don't really get spooked that easy. I got stopped by the border patrol. They thought I was hauling drugs. There is still some question to whether that barred S. heros heros is really S. heros heros. Good luck hunting. Let us know if you find any S. h. castaneiceps in New Mex. I see them in central Tx but I've never seen one in tx west of Del Rio.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those "Tiger barred" Heros are simply stunning !!!!

Is there any difference in location-data where the common
Heros var.arizonensis occur and the "tiger barred" ones ?
or are they found in the exactly same area/habitats ?
Wait!!! arizonensis is a variety? Is not a subspecie? Untill I think I know after specie comes the subspecies and after that, the variety that is synonim of colorform. Mybe I'm wrong, please correct me. Glad to learn new knowledge.

Cheers
Carles

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Androctonus-I think that your are right, Genus species subspecies var. but I am not completely sure.

Steven-There are a couple places around arizona that you can find arizonensis with some tiger barred patterning. The difference is that the head on the ones that I am looking for only has the blotch of black and not the solid black. If you come out this direction some time, email me and I will be more then happy to shoot you a couple places to look.

The Tiger Barred heros seems to be a bit more touchy then the common desert heros. I have talked with several other people that have kept them and had problems with a fungus that they seem to be more susceptible to then there nonbanded relatives. I have tried to keep one and I know three other people that have tried to keep them with all of them dieing off from a black rot fungus. I am really looking forward to this trip and what I might find.