summer food

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This summer, as last 2 summers, I am supplementing my Ts cricket diet with moths Im catching outside at evening. Do you also supplement and vary your Ts diet with summer bugs?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I try to stick to things I have raised or were raised only for the purpose of feeding inverts.
There is a risk factor involved with feeding wild caught prey, they may have chemicals/pestisides or other unseen parasites that could harm your T. I don't know how big that risk is, but I don't like to increase risk if I don't have to.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nope, its to risky around here, i dont know who uses pestisides.....

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This summer, as last 2 summers, I am supplementing my Ts cricket diet with moths Im catching outside at evening. Do you also supplement and vary your Ts diet with summer bugs?
Nope, I just stick to bugs I or someone else has bred and raised to feed to my Ts. Almost no chance of passing on parasites or any of that other nasty stuff.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There's also the risk of feeding an animal which is naturally toxic, though I don't know of any specific moths that would be. Some butterflies, yes, and also fireflies will kill pretty much anything you feed them to.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I occasionally find a house spider trapped in the sink, so I free it by moving it into the container of one of my roseas where it quickly becomes a tasty snack.

You have to be very careful. Lots of things can go wrong, parasites, disease, the thing you give them can fight back and hurt them. I know I'm being a huge hypocrit, those house spiders can fight back, but seriously, I doubt a 1/2 inch house spider poses any real threat to a 5" rosea. I'll probably end up being corrected... ;P

Just be careful, you wouldn't want to get your fuzzy friend sure.

I dunno where you live, but do not feed canker worms. You know those green caterpillars that devour trees alive. They're one of the few things that have a natural toxin in the their body. I doubt it would kill a T, but I've seen a many spiders bite into one, drop it, run off and regurgitate fluid from it's fangs.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I occasionally find a house spider trapped in the sink, so I free it by moving it into the container of one of my roseas where it quickly becomes a tasty snack.

You have to be very careful. Lots of things can go wrong, parasites, disease, the thing you give them can fight back and hurt them. I know I'm being a huge hypocrit, those house spiders can fight back, but seriously, I doubt a 1/2 inch house spider poses any real threat to a 5" rosea. I'll probably end up being corrected... ;P

Just be careful, you wouldn't want to get your fuzzy friend sure.

I dunno where you live, but do not feed canker worms. You know those green caterpillars that devour trees alive. They're one of the few things that have a natural toxin in the their body. I doubt it would kill a T, but I've seen a many spiders bite into one, drop it, run off and regurgitate fluid from it's fangs.

Your right: I'm pretty sure a Latrodectus spp. would post a threat to a G.rosea.;P

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I try to stick to things I have raised or were raised only for the purpose of feeding inverts.
There is a risk factor involved with feeding wild caught prey, they may have chemicals/pestisides or other unseen parasites that could harm your T. I don't know how big that risk is, but I don't like to increase risk if I don't have to.
agreed completely.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is how I feel.

I would pay a dollar or more per cricket even to ensure my T's had a garunteed healthy meal.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just learned that outdoor pesticides are illegal in my area!!!

Arachnoboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I feed "wildlife" bugs to my tarantulas, such as earthworms,beetles,spiders,moths,bees etc etc, I have always done that and have never had any problems.
It's free and it's good to vary the diet.....

† [sandi] †

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no i don't do that because is to risky.

but if you do. i prefer that you have the bugs for about two weeks for seeing if it dies. and then give it to your T.

I feed "wildlife" bugs to my tarantulas, such as earthworms,beetles,spiders,moths,bees etc etc, I have always done that and have never had any problems.
It's free and it's good to vary the diet.....
that is true. but it can only happen once and your T would be dead. i wouldn't risk the lives of my T's. because i live in country where is a lot of that crap in our earth.

regards

sandi

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I prefer not to go out and be like an hour until finding some bug, better I buy some crickets, if you want a varied diet some times buy roaches.. I actually do that, feed my T's with roaches mainly and crickets some times. :D

Originally Posted by talkenlate04

..and because Talkenlate said is true

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
feeding

I only feed a moth occasionally, and we live in a trailer far off the main road, and near the top of a mountain. There is no pest spraying anywhere near us, so I dont think there is much risk. If I lived where there was heavy pest control, or a lot of farming, I wouldnt risk it.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just keep in mind that farmers are not the only ones that spray crap, your closest neighbor could be a pest hunter spraying anything and everything to get ride of everything that crawls in his or her yard. I have met people like that. Storage closet full of chemicals just waiting for one living thing to twitch in the yard.

Then when it rains where do you think all that goes.:eek:

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just keep in mind that farmers are not the only ones that spray crap, your closest neighbor could be a pest hunter spraying anything and everything to get ride of everything that crawls in his or her yard. I have met people like that. Storage closet full of chemicals just waiting for one living thing to twitch in the yard.

Then when it rains where do you think all that goes.:eek:
Agreed, I think it's pretty risky to collect in most urban/suburban areas.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Heck they will never outlaw chemicles out my way. Then what would people do about their weeds. Pull them out by hand? Ya right. {D

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last year, I made a test with one of my baby avics (cheapest ones) and fed it only outdoor moth.

Not only she grew up healthy (pre molt right now) but the hunt has nothing to do with cricket catching business. Pretty acrobatic. :worship:

Variety in food gives healthier animals, but they are still many places where the outdoor insects are heavily loaded with pesticides, which can accumulate in a T.

You can either:

-Use a cheap T as a guinea pig for several months (idealy two summers) to check on your area.

-Try to breed some of the frogs and other animals you wish to feed your T's. I collect small frogs and feed them with bought insect, so when they are bigger, they don't have the poisons their wild relatives are laced with!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i live in frankfurt where they spray everything... so no way i'd ever feed any outside bug to my ts...