Sumatran Tigers misidentified as O violaceopes

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I know that the pictures I’m going to mention are from 15+ years ago but was there a time when C sp Sumatran Tiger was sold as O. violaceopes here in the states? Because going back to some of the older posts in the Omothymus genus gallery I’ve found 2 or 3 pictures of what are obviously Sumatran tiger labeled as O vio. I was 13 at the time and barely getting into the hobby so any info on this would be enlightening.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I imagine it's possible, although I can't say one way or another with absolute certainty. AFAIK, 15+ years ago, O. violaceopes was an unidentified species in the hobby commonly just called Cyriopagopus sp Blue and I imagine it had all the problems that come with such uncertainty (and demand).

cold blood

Staff member
I know that the pictures I’m going to mention are from 15+ years ago but was there a time when C sp Sumatran Tiger was sold as O. violaceopes here in the states? Because going back to some of the older posts in the Omothymus genus gallery I’ve found 2 or 3 pictures of what are obviously Sumatran tiger labeled as O vio. I was 13 at the time and barely getting into the hobby so any info on this would be enlightening.
During the time you are talking about, violaceopes was in the genus Lampropelma.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
During the time you are talking about, violaceopes was in the genus Lampropelma.
This much I know. I was using the current taxonomy for it. However, if you go through the Omothymus genus gallery you will see sp. Sumatran tiger being called Lampropelma violaceopes