Sumaratan Blood Python

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
anyone here keep any? or any of the borneo bloods? i have had a facsination with them now for the last 4-5 months and have decided when i can afford a few nice vision cages in the future that i want to get a pair of hatchlings or bigger... these are from what i've seen just super heavy bodied from their size! i personaly think they look wicked, i also hear its best of cousre to CB because of parasites, its gonna be a while bfore i can get back into reps but i know their on my list! other stuff i've been looking into includes: Leopard Geckos(these guys just seem so cool), Crested Geckos, and possibly some timor monitors(probaly peachthroat, or blue spot), i have seen a cool place online though that wuld be cheaper than vision boaphile.com i think? i have a feeling when i get my own apartment this summer i may need a 2 bedroom, i for me and 1 for my exotic pets,lol, ok well i'm done talking now....

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Weapon-X, I don't keep any of the bloods, but I definitely have been interested in keeping Borneo bloods. They are really cool snakes. If you don't get Reptiles magazine, try and find a show near you at herpshows.com and pick up the January 2003 issue. There's a great article in there written by Robyn Markland on bloods.

They are not a snake you can fudge up with husbandry, and not have to worry about them getting sick or dying on you. Definitely be prepared for them if you get one. CB is the way to go, WC tend to have health issues, like you said. Not to mention that CB generally have far better temperaments and are easier to work with. CB are definitely the best choice to go with for any animal species, really.

Here's some links for you:
Boaphile Plastics
Vision Cages
Vida Preciosa Int'l. Pro Exotics

Hope these help. :)

Bry

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dave and Tracy Barker, the owners of VPI, say that when they get bloods in, a certain type is always aggressive, even as captive-bred specimens. I believe it's the Malaysian blood python that has this temperament. They found the Sumatran, Borneo, and black bloods easier to work with than Malaysians, as captive-bred that is. Anyway, found some pics on the Regal Reptiles website. Enjoy.

Sumatran Blood

Borneo Short-Tailed

Bry

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Weapon-X!!

Sorry I repied so late........I have 2 blood pythons, one Borneo short tail, ( Python Curtis Bretenstieni), an a Malaysian Blood python, ( Python curtis Brongersmai). I have had them 8 years. Though they are not the perfect "pet", I love em! I bought the female Borneo from Bob Clark, as a hatchling, and now she is 7' and over 45lbs!!:eek: No kidding!! She used to be very calm and trustworthy, but now sometimes she is kinda gripey. I have researched and documented that she is at LEAST the 3rd. largest ever in captivity. Her mom is the largest......and I think mine is 2nd. by now , all without pushing her with food, as I do not agree with this. She is thicker than any 15 ft. snake I have ever seen, and is bigger than peoples legs! She still lets me check her gums, teeth, with my hands and a chopstick! She also has a unreal, beautiful pattern.......My Malaysian dude is about 6 ft., male, and the tamest snake I have seen........he is about 20lbs. It is a beautiful orange color and cream, with black pattern. He is a roamer, when spring hits, he want to go find a mate, and tries to tear down the cage!! But they are actually easy to keep, if you do the research first. I keep a large brownie pan for water & humidity,and rarely spray them down now.......just make sure you have lots of water, as they drink alot. During the shed, provide a wet bath towel, as this will help them with the humidity, and they rub on it too. As far as their problems healthwise, it is overated..... but once they do get sick, it will take much longer to get well than your average boa. My male got mouthrot and a resp. infection from pushing so much when I was at work, even knocked the glass door off a Neodesha 5ft. cage!!:eek: He lost alot of teeth too, but my vet and I pulled it through by antibiotic shots everyday, and slightly raising the temps., though you have to regulate this carefully. I am not big on posting pics. , but maybe I will post some for you when I take current ones, the borneo is a monster, hard to pick-up even, and the Malaysian is very beautiful. I love their thickness and proportion, and the pattern as well!:D Visit Bob Clarks website, at BobClark.com

Last edited:

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

wow! those sound awesome 45 lbs. crap thats heavy,lol, cool i'll check out that site:), can't wait to see pics of em--Jeff