Suitable Tub for P. muticus?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Hey everyone. I'm going to be purchasing a 1.1 pair of P. muticus that are both ~3". I was strolling around Target last night when I found a great deal on sterilite tubs. Would these be suitable for the P. muticus, granted that I intend to fill it a bit over half way with substrate?

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Judging from the pics... they aren't bad. Personally I would opt for something more taller (mind, floor space of those is ok) since it's only me and filling enclosures with dirt :angelic: :kiss:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Judging from the pics... they aren't bad. Personally I would opt for something more taller (mind, floor space of those is ok) since it's only me and filling enclosures with dirt :angelic: :kiss:
Yeah, they're a little on the shallow side for my liking unfortunately, but since they're only 3" at this time and the general consensus is that P. muticus are notoriously slow growers, I figured they'd work at least temporarily until I can find something with a bit more depth. They have a nice large/deep KK at the LPS, but unfortunately it's the only one they have and costs literally 4x as much as the two tubs costed.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, they're a little on the shallow side for my liking unfortunately, but since they're only 3" at this time and the general consensus is that P. muticus are notoriously slow growers, I figured they'd work at least temporarily until I can find something with a bit more depth. They have a nice large/deep KK at the LPS, but unfortunately it's the only one they have and costs literally 4x as much as the two tubs costed.
They would work better for a large terrestrial, a fossorial like P.muticus needs more depth. Of course they can still get the job done for now, are you planning on breeding? I don't think you will be able to breed this pair, the males mature very small and the female is no where near mature yet. Great species to own nonetheless...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, they're a little on the shallow side for my liking unfortunately, but since they're only 3" at this time and the general consensus is that P. muticus are notoriously slow growers, I figured they'd work at least temporarily until I can find something with a bit more depth.
Yup, you can always buy a more taller one tomorrow :-s

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
They would work better for a large terrestrial, a fossorial like P.muticus needs more depth. Of course they can still get the job done for now, are you planning on breeding? I don't think you will be able to breed this pair, the males mature very small and the female is no where near mature yet. Great species to own nonetheless...
I'll have to keep an eye out for something deeper then in the nearish future. And I originally thought I could breed them down the road, but if the male matures too early that's really nbd in my book. I'm mostly buying this pair since I can get confirmed sexes, breeding them was more of an afterthought. I can still enjoy him until he matures, then ship him off to meet a Goddess of his own ;)

That being said, if I fed him more sparsely than the female, would there be a higher chance of him holding out until the female is mature?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Yup, you can always buy a more taller one tomorrow :-s
Indeed. Maybe they work in a pinch, but ultimately unbefitting of the Goddess! It'll never be good enough, until the only sign of her presence is a small, slightly webbed hole in the dirt... :D

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
I work at walmart and we generally have similar but deeper sterilite. Its what I have my 3 inch E. murinus in currently. Keep looking if you want deeper, theyre there somewhere.

cold blood

Staff member
I work at walmart and we generally have similar but deeper sterilite. Its what I have my 3 inch E. murinus in currently. Keep looking if you want deeper, theyre there somewhere.
Yes, first and formost, get a sterilite tub....an appropriately sized one is like $3.50. The way that top dips into the tub is a total deal breaker, i wouldnt use those for any t.

And dont be the sucker buying the "breeding pair" of juvies that will likely never be able to breed....just buy the sexed female

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
That being said, if I fed him more sparsely than the female, would there be a higher chance of him holding out until the female is mature?
I won't say it's impossible, but you would need to reduce his temps/feeding a lot and do the opposite with your female. The thing about that is it may take a toll on his health in the long run, I think the best bet is to keep them the same way and send off your male when he matures.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
yes, ive heard thats fairly common with faster growing species. i wouldnt bother with P muticus though.

absolutely fantastic spiders to own. one of the few i wouldnt mind having multiple females of. :)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Yes, first and formost, get a sterilite tub....an appropriately sized one is like $3.50. The way that top dips into the tub is a total deal breaker, i wouldnt use those for any t.

And dont be the sucker buying the "breeding pair" of juvies that will likely never be able to breed....just buy the sexed female
What's the problem with indented lids? It's relatively flat, the dip is maybe half a centimeter. Unless the angle of the images make it look like the lid is pushing deep into the space inside the tubs, which the thumbnail sort of looks that way.

I'll inquire if he's got any individual females he'd be willing to sell, but I doubt that'll be the case; they are listed as a pair, and the only other P. muticus he has listed is a smaller unsexed juvenile.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
if hes got a sexed pair, hes got a female...are you saying he will only sell a female if you buy a male? My advice is to shop around and be patient...theres hundreds of places to buy from.

The lid just dips into valuable space, especially with burrowers that are constantly bringing excavated substrate to the surface.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
if hes got a sexed pair, hes got a female...are you saying he will only sell a female if you buy a male? My advice is to shop around and be patient...theres hundreds of places to buy from.

The lid just dips into valuable space, especially with burrowers that are constantly bringing excavated substrate to the surface.
He's got them listed together as a package deal. It gives the impression that he probably doesn't want to sell them individually. They're a part of a larger order ($300+), so I wasn't too bothered by purchasing the male with the female honestly. But if I can get him to sell me just the female, that'd be preferable. I'm always hesitant to ask about that kind of stuff though, makes me feel like I'm wasting the seller's time.

That makes sense, especially since the tubs are already on the shallow side. I'll shop around for better tubs, thanks for the input!

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
They're seriously slow growers. I think you'd be okay with these. You'd have about a year and a half, depending on temps and food, before you needed to find something else.