Suitable enclosure for small climbing roaches

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
What sort of enclosure would you recommend for small climbing roaches such as Halloween hisser nymphs? I currently have my colony in a five gallon with a sliding screentop that snaps in place — it worked well for my widehorn hissers but Halloween hisser nymphs are too tiny!

I would like to get an enclosure that’s premade / ready to use, but I can make small modifications if needed. Any advice / recommendations would be greatly appreciated — thank you!

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
For your "small climbing roaches" I recommend something like a large storage container with lots of ventilation, the screen lid can be a problem for your climbing species. + make sure to add the necessary accessories and stuff because you don't want roach feces all over the bottom of the tub. Also use cross ventilation if they don't climb to high.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
You should use a climbing barrier of something like petroleum jelly to prevent escape for things like climbing roaches like Elliptorhina.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
For your "small climbing roaches" I recommend something like a large storage container with lots of ventilation, the screen lid can be a problem for your climbing species. + make sure to add the necessary accessories and stuff because you don't want roach feces all over the bottom of the tub. Also use cross ventilation if they don't climb to high.
The key will be finding a container with an airtight seal that I can still make small holes in for ventilation. I have used Sterilite containers for various species of cockroach, isopod, and millipede, and for those they worked well, but I don’t think the lids close tightly enough to keep out these tiny hisser nymphs.

I had hoped to find a container with built in screens but which was otherwise well sealed (the nymphs don’t get through the screen but rather are able to squeeze around the edges of the sliding lid). They have food, water, hiding places, substrate, and heating when needed, but I guess the little ones just explore everywhere they can.

You should use a climbing barrier of something like petroleum jelly to prevent escape for things like climbing roaches like Elliptorhina.
I have tried that, but it wears away each roach that climbs, and the Halloween hissers are so prolific. 😅

Beths Tiny Critters

Arachnopeon
I have my halloweens in a 8x8x8 Tarantula Cribs enclosure. It has 2mm holes. Seems to work for me. I know I'll have to move them into a larger bin eventually but I think I'll always keep a small few in a display tank like this just for the looks.

20230315_192730.jpg

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I always used vaseline for my roach colonies, and it turned out fine.
Hmm, maybe I just did not apply enough. I will try it again, and more thoroughly, as a temporary mea

I have my halloweens in a 8x8x8 Tarantula Cribs enclosure. It has 2mm holes. Seems to work for me. I know I'll have to move them into a larger bin eventually but I think I'll always keep a small few in a display tank like this just for the looks.

View attachment 443124
Thank you for the recommendation and photo — that does look nice! Are the tiny nymphs not able to squeeze out of the ventilation holes? The holes LOOK like they should be small enough, but I have been wrong before…

Beths Tiny Critters

Arachnopeon
Very cool looking roaches , acrylic containers are expensive! Nice .
Yes. They are expensive. But worth it honestly. I love the size. I love the look. I am going to try to maintain an always acrylic collection. But right now I'm on pause because I don't have the money. Not right now. Lol. But my rescue does take in glass enclosures just in case I need a new one. I can't afford them all. Lol.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
So far keeping them in the same enclosure but applied vaseline all around the top and so far, so good! I am amazed at the tiny spaces the nymphs are able to squeeze out of, so I will probably stick with this method.

Dielc4

Arachnopeon
The key will be finding a container with an airtight seal that I can still make small holes in for ventilation. I have used Sterilite containers for various species of cockroach, isopod, and millipede, and for those they worked well, but I don’t think the lids close tightly enough to keep out these tiny hisser nymphs.

I had hoped to find a container with built in screens but which was otherwise well sealed (the nymphs don’t get through the screen but rather are able to squeeze around the edges of the sliding lid). They have food, water, hiding places, substrate, and heating when needed, but I guess the little ones just explore everywhere they can.

I have tried that, but it wears away each roach that climbs, and the Halloween hissers are so prolific. 😅
You'll just have to keep refreshing it. I've never had any issues with my g. Portentosas climbing, but Vaseline is the only solution I've ever seen recommended for that specific problem. :)

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
I use the smaller critter keepers of my symploce pallens, and seal the top with a sheet of paper towel, they can't get out and there's good ventilation- my colony has thrived and reproduced exponentially as a result...