Suicidal Chihuahua

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I almost wrecked my truck today cause my Chihuahua got stuck under my brake pedal. I was headed towards a stopsign at highway intersection, when the car in front of my braked hard for no reason, fairly far back from where they actually needed to stop. I slammed on my brakes in a desperate attempt to stop my heavy truck, which caused my Chihuahua to fly from the seat directly under my brake pedal, where she proceeded to get stuck. The car in front of me was still on their binders, but I couldnt brake any more cause I would crush my dog. I had to drive my truck into the ditch, and almost through a barbed wire fence to avoid rearending them. She finally got loose about the time I would have either had to cross the other highway, or make an emergency right turn into the other highways ditch. I stopped the truck before I had to do either, but it was a scary moment for sure. The people in the other car looked at me like I was crazy, and one of them gave me the finger.

Ive decided to invest in a doggy seat belt. {D

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chihuahuas are all suicidal because of how they look. what other breed of dog enjoys jumping inside seat cushions, underneath brake pedals and off tables?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Or maybe you could just not have the dog loose in your car? :? I'm not being confrontational, but it's like having an infant unrestrained in the car--except it can run around and get into trouble. Or, you know, go flying if you slam on your brakes, just like what did happen.

It could very easily have been hurt or killed. :eek: Maybe get a small, padded dog crate and wedge it nice and snug on the floor between the front and back seats, or the floor in front of the passenger side seat.

Lindze

Arachnopeon
Dang Sky, Are you both ok? Any damage done to the car??

I had a doggy seat belt thing for one of my labs, she hated it, but if she didnt have it on, she would try sit in my lap, 60 lbs dog, small car, never worked.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man, that sounded scary! So glad both you and the dog are ok! The truck too.

I had a dog who was terrified of the Rolling Stones song, Sympathy For the Devil. It once came on the radio in the car and he dove onto my feet causing my foot to press down hard on the gas. Almost wrecked us! Dumb dog, lol.

Glad to hear it turned out ok with you...

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poor Gixxer (did I butcher her name?) probably nearly had a heart attack alongside you. :eek:

Glad you're both ok. Did the truck sustain any damage when you steered it into a ditch?

A restraint does sound like a good idea - never know how other people drive and break and/or swirve for no reason at all.

---
Wendy
---

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Agh, that sounds scary. I've always dreaded that happening, even though the one of our 4 dogs that I take to a state park weekly (45 minutes away) is always belted in. He'd probably try to do the same things a small dog would do, because he's an 85 pound idiot.

But hey, I always like to say if you'd buckle up your kid, buckle up your dog!

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe get a seperator and stick the dogs into the boot?
i dont wanna be confrontational either, but by the sounds of it you wer kinda lucky..and your dog..and whoever else was at risk outside the truck?
imo if your dog refuses to co-operate when put into a safety harness, then think twice bowt putting it in the car. or with a rat maybe put it into a little container of somekind..attach that to the safety harness?
I dont wanna seem like an moan, but if i was outside of the car and you had ran into someone i know because you didnt have ur dog tied down i really would be that forgiving.
on a lighter note... lol i think i could easily loose a chihuahua. funy little things.
Not common at all in UK..i guess it might not be an ideal climate for one?
Though i am half way there..i actually do have some rats. lol iv been looking to get some gambian giant pouchd rats..they would probably be about twice the size of ur pup{D {D {D {D {D
woulld be rather funny to c against each other
<<edit>> sorted caps lock..also just saw tthe bit about 'i will invest in a doggy seat belt':clap: :clap:

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Poor Gixxer (did I butcher her name?) probably nearly had a heart attack alongside you. :eek:

Glad you're both ok. Did the truck sustain any damage when you steered it into a ditch?

A restraint does sound like a good idea - never know how other people drive and break and/or swirve for no reason at all.

---
Wendy
---
You got her name right. Shes ok, as is the truck. The ditches around here arent very deep, and this was out in the country.

The reason I havent gotten a restraint for her so far is that her neck is very sensative. She cant even wear a collar, because her trachea collapses under the slightest pressure. The man who had her before me abused her horribly, and chocked her by the neck so hard he ruined her wind pipe. The restraints sold at petco all attach to a collar, so if I was in an accident, they would more likely kill her than save her.

I did find one online recently, that works like a harness, with nothing around the neck. Im waiting on the special order, cause she is so small.

Anyway, thanks for everyones concern.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
poor little thing.. thats a shame.. thought about one of those carry boxes..as nasty as they are

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Have you tried looking for a ferret or cat harness? We have one for our ferret that holds him just fine, and if it can hold a squirmy ferret, a little bitty rat-dog shouldn't be a problem.

I even buckle my 70lb mutt in now. One time she was sitting up in the backseat and I had to brake suddenly, and she came through the space between the front seats and shoved my car into park from around 40mph. Transmissions don't like that, I soon found out. :rolleyes:

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The man who had her before me abused her horribly, and chocked her by the neck so hard he ruined her wind pipe.
I SERIOUSLY beleive that some people should just be taken out back and beaten:D ...I dont understand why people have to do that kinda stuff to animals, but It Pisses me off to no end. I'm Glad ya rescued her, That's always good to hear but still....I HOPE TO GOD that guy went to jail, I'd pass on a bit of info that I've learned from working in one (a jail) but I'm not going to get that graphic...Still, Just Pisses me off.... ::Grumbles::

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I SERIOUSLY beleive that some people should just be taken out back and beaten:D ...I dont understand why people have to do that kinda stuff to animals, but It Pisses me off to no end. I'm Glad ya rescued her, That's always good to hear but still....I HOPE TO GOD that guy went to jail, I'd pass on a bit of info that I've learned from working in one (a jail) but I'm not going to get that graphic...Still, Just Pisses me off.... ::Grumbles::
No, he didnt go to jail (for abusing her at least). I never actually met the guy. She was found running loose on a street in the bad side of town. We figured out what happened because she is terrified of men, and the vet said the damage to her neck could only have been done by someone chocking her.

There is a reason they dont give Animal Control officers guns!!

Taceas, thanks for the advice on the ferret harness. Im going to Petsmart today, for crickets, so I will look into them while Im there.

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, he didnt go to jail (for abusing her at least). I never actually met the guy. She was found running loose on a street in the bad side of town. We figured out what happened because she is terrified of men, and the vet said the damage to her neck could only have been done by someone chocking her.

There is a reason they dont give Animal Control officers guns!!

Taceas, thanks for the advice on the ferret harness. Im going to Petsmart today, for crickets, so I will look into them while Im there.
Ha ha ha! SOME ACO's have guns!!! Too bad he didnt get caught though, That pisses me off!