suggestions

rebirthflame

Arachnopeon
ok i have a exo terra faunarium the dimentions are 46L x 30W x 17H cm i've just lost my first emp and am looking for another scorp to replace him.

here are the things i am looking for

1. i would like some sort of community set up.
2. a desert species would be good
3. something that remains active in the day (if thats possible) and doesnt just hide in a hole all of the time
4. likely to use its sting on prey (never saw my emp do this) and something that isnt too venemous as i am still quite inexperianced. i dont mind a bit of pain i just dont want to end up in hospital

along with species suggestions i would like to know how many of these i can comfortably house in my enclosure.:3:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not a desert sp but Centruoides gracilis or C margaritatus would be the best for a big display IMO.

rebirthflame

Arachnopeon
i thought Centruroides species were pretty dangerous. they look nice but im not sure about the tail.

is there any desert sp which are communal?

Brandelmouche

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mesobuthus martensii are a good community scorpion for wath you search,I think. ;)

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
M martensii isn't desert eather. I wanted to suggest C gracilis earlier but that's not desert either. Your limited in scorpions who tend to camp out in the open. PS every scorpion is dangerous unless it is properly cared for.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're not?
Really? I thought they were semi humid like. Maybe I'm mixing this up with something else?

EDT: After looking up it real quick I guess it could go both ways, I just wouldn't think this would be a species that sticks out as desert type... but, in my opinion your word is definently better than mine, you've been doing this for a lot longer . :p

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hehehe I'm kinda messing with you ;). This species is actually found thoughout a wide range of habitat. From xeric conditions down next to the sea!. Most keep these on the dry side. I used to keep this species a few years ago and although I did keep dry, I always kept water out as they seemed to drink more than your typical desert sp.

rebirthflame

Arachnopeon
like the look of Mesobuthus martensii, ive read up on it i assume i can keep this in sand misting every couple of weeks or so. how many of these would i be able to keep in my tank comfortably (not too familiar with gallons). Also i think these will be hard to pick up in the uk how will they handle being posted from the us. thanks for the feedback so far.:worship:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hehehe I'm kinda messing with you ;). This species is actually found thoughout a wide range of habitat. From xeric conditions down next to the sea!. Most keep these on the dry side. I used to keep this species a few years ago and although I did keep dry, I always kept water out as they seemed to drink more than your typical desert sp.
Brian.... I thought you might have been pulling my leg.:liar:

Rebirth.... personally I'd suggest a nice mix of peat and sand, but I've never kept this species so deviations in the type of substrate are probaly known. As for being in the UK... someone may have some available in those parts, shop around for sure.. maybe you'll get lucky and find some that you won't have to pay too much to ship.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You will need a dangerous animal permit in the UK to keep those since they are a Buthid so scrap that idea. I didnt know you were in the UK. You may have to do the Vaejovis thing now.

rebirthflame

Arachnopeon
damn the goverment.

im confused though Vaejovis wasnt mentioned but after reading up a bit on them it seems they are exactly what im looking for. is there any paticular sp that can be kept communaly, i know Vaejovis spinigerus can is this true for the rest. also how many could i keep in my enclosure i was thinking maybe 4 or 5.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I do believe they are all pretty much communal. You can put a bunch in an enclosure like that. They are pretty small

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
damn the goverment.

im confused though Vaejovis wasnt mentioned but after reading up a bit on them it seems they are exactly what im looking for. QUOTE]

Vaejovis don't typically hang out in the open during lit periods, but as soon as the lights mine spring to life. Mine move around a lot in the scrape during the day , they are constant diggers. But during the day they stay under there, that's probaly why the idea didn't come up for a bit. They are a great species to keep though, quick as lightning and I feed crickets slightly smaller than them.