Suggestions on new camera wanted!

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello all..... I am going to make the plunge and pickup a new digital camera soon, and would like some advice. I can afford around $500 or so..... I currently am using a Sony 4.1mp DSC-P73, but have heard it referred to as a kids toy by an EBayer..... Of course I'd like it to be good for closeups in macro mode! :drool: I don't know enough about cameras and am just looking for advice from you who do... thanks!

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been using a Sony DSC-S85 for a couple years now and it has served me pretty well. Not great on macro, but I have gotten a lot of nice 'luck' shots with it. I can't personally recommended anything because I haven't been in the market for a new digital camera for a long time, but I do know this site http://www.dpreview.com/ is great for camera reviews, so you should probably read up there first.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is a used Sony DSC-F717 on eBay. This is an excellent camera and will probably provide better pictures than most new cameras in your price range. You may also want to look at the Canon S2.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
for a hundred more than 500 you can afford a body for a canon rebel xt. you might even be able to get a package deal ( body and 50mm lens) if not the same price..maybe a little more. but if you just want to point and snap, there are many great cameras for less money.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am very happy with my digital camera, i have gotten very very good shots with it and you can easily pick up one of the newer models for around 400.00. I use an HP R707, it cost me 300.00 and something a couple years ago, its a 5.1 mp camera with 24x zoom. I am sure there is better cameras out there, but this one has loads of features on it and for the price you just cant go wrong. I think HP is very under rated, they are great cameras. Check em out ;)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
for a hundred more than 500 you can afford a body for a canon rebel xt. you might even be able to get a package deal ( body and 50mm lens) if not the same price..maybe a little more. but if you just want to point and snap, there are many great cameras for less money.
Yes you can get teh body for the camera but the cost of lens will add up quickly.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
Yes you can get teh body for the camera but the cost of lens will add up quickly.
definetly! heh that is the main reason i only have one. :rolleyes:

the 18-55mm isn't too much though and is bundled with the body as a package deal quite often.

once i do get more lenses, then i'll also need to buy a bag to lug them around.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes you can get the body for the camera but the cost of lens will add up quickly.
YEA But once you go to dslr, you can not go back. period. I do get tired of packing around a 14lb bag but the pictures are worth it.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, how advanced a camera do you want? $500 will buy you a lower priced SLR, or a very good non-slr.

If you're a beginning photographer interested in bug macros, I'd recommend the Olympus C-7070. They run $400 - $600 on ebay, and are an extremely capable non-slr. I have one, and it's just amazing. Dpreview.com will help you narrow your criteria. Also check out www.megapixel.net , www.stevesdigicams.com , www.dcreview.com.

Marcelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all..... I am going to make the plunge and pickup a new digital camera soon, and would like some advice. I can afford around $500 or so..... I currently am using a Sony 4.1mp DSC-P73, but have heard it referred to as a kids toy by an EBayer..... Of course I'd like it to be good for closeups in macro mode! :drool: I don't know enough about cameras and am just looking for advice from you who do... thanks!
Fingolfin;
FIRST OF ALL you can take nice decent pictures with almost any camera, all you need is to know you camera functions very well.

BUT
If you want to take good closeups, you need to get some nice macro lens, like canon 100mm macro lens. lens are the most important thing in photography.
the macro mode, landscape mode, portrait mode, night shot mode, sports mode, do not work at all, when you use these modes, you camera controls everything, the results are awful.
I have never use the macro mode in my life, it is just marketing!!!!!

Just compare these comercial cameras with the professional ones, the profesional ones has only manual mode, apperture value and time value.
you control almost everything!!!!

canon rebel 300d could be a good start, then you can save money to buy some macro lens

ITS ALL DEPENDS WHAT YOU WANT.
you can always sale your cameras but not your lens, got it :D

P.S. I am not selling comercial cameras are bad, you can get good pictures too but theres is a big difference.

good luck with your choice !!!!

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fingolfin;
FIRST OF ALL you can take nice decent pictures with almost any camera, all you need is to know you camera functions very well.

BUT
If you want to take good closeups, you need to get some nice macro lens, like canon 100mm macro lens. lens are the most important thing in photography.
the macro mode, landscape mode, portrait mode, night shot mode, sports mode, do not work at all, when you use these modes, you camera controls everything, the results are awful.
I have never use the macro mode in my life, it is just marketing!!!!!

Just compare these comercial cameras with the professional ones, the profesional ones has only manual mode, apperture value and time value.
you control almost everything!!!!

canon rebel 300d could be a good start, then you can save money to buy some macro lens

ITS ALL DEPENDS WHAT YOU WANT.
you can always sale your cameras but not your lens, got it :D

P.S. I am not selling comercial cameras are bad, you can get good pictures too but theres is a big difference.

good luck with your choice !!!!
Thank you sir!!
And everyone else, of course...