Suggestions for pet for a 5yr old?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
At 5yrs old I was still too far interested in collecting rocks. Oddly enough still am. Have you tried that!? :wacky: Good rock never gets old, and only requires minimal watering, and can be handled till your blue in the face.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
My friend was telling me the other day about these kits you can buy called "Grow your Own Sea Monkeys" or "Aqua Dragons". They are marketed for kids +3yrs and are little aquariums where you add water and the eggs provided, which then hatch.

Probably not what @Arachnoenthusiast wants as I guess you're looking for something slightly larger for your little girl, but still thought I'd mention in case someone else finds it useful 🙂

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
I wonder how many here would be as interested and knowledgeable in various creatures as they are if they had been told they were too young, couldn't have a pet they wanted, etc. When they were young. She is fascinated with all manner of animals and I'm choosing to nurture that in her.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
She is fascinated with all manner of animals and I'm choosing to nurture that in her.
If you took my comment poorly in anyway I apologize for that, I was just making a joke more about myself. I personally think its great that your trying to find something for her.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
My friend was telling me the other day about these kits you can buy called "Grow your Own Sea Monkeys" or "Aqua Dragons". They are marketed for kids +3yrs and are little aquariums where you add water and the eggs provided, which then hatch.

Probably not what @Arachnoenthusiast wants as I guess you're looking for something slightly larger for your little girl, but still thought I'd mention in case someone else finds it useful 🙂
Had these as a kid, we had no idea how to care for them so the tank got gross. When they started to die the babysitter suggested we switch out the water; she helped us do so, but we forgot to dechlorinate it, so they all quickly died. I think if you don't do that they should make a great pet.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
If you took my comment poorly in anyway I apologize for that, I was just making a joke more about myself. I personally think its great that your trying to find something for her.
No offense taken. I totally understand that folks may be worried when they see I'm getting a 5yr old a pet. I promise I'll be involved.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Damn,DomGom,if you don't convice them to get a hisser colony,you're gonna convince me,they are amazing :lol:

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
Isopods. Lots of colors and patterns to choose from. Great for handling and watching. Or a blue death feigning beetle. Super simple care and fun to watch and hold.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I wonder how many here would be as interested and knowledgeable in various creatures as they are if they had been told they were too young, couldn't have a pet they wanted, etc. When they were young. She is fascinated with all manner of animals and I'm choosing to nurture that in her.
Here's 1 and although not a pet per say are intresting due to their life stages.

Meal/Morioworms. Yes to state they're pets is a bit much but they're hardy and because they go through metamorphosis I think a 5 year old would be fascinated with them.

Seeing a worm change into a beetle never gets old.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
I would say an ant colony (with a queen). you can catch your own queen and raise the colony from the start, or purchase a colony from somewhere within your state (illegal to ship across state lines). ants are very fun, there are many species that cant bite and are large enough to pick up one i guess (camponotus). very very active animals, there will always be ants running around for your to see. if you invest in a formicarium you will be able to see directly into the nest. for information on ants i would recommend going over to formiculture.com, you might also be able to purchase ant colonies over there. :)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
there are many species that cant bite and are large enough to pick up one i guess (camponotus)
I assure you, Camponotus can and will bite. Those soldiers aren't decorative.

Ants seem difficult as a first pet for a five year old, IMO, though they'd be very interesting to watch.

XxSpiderQueenxX

Arachnobaron
I assure you, Camponotus can and will bite. Those soldiers aren't decorative.

Ants seem difficult as a first pet for a five year old, IMO, though they'd be very interesting to watch.
oh i didnt know that! lol
but honestly ants are pretty easy. just feed them proteins and sugars every few days and they are good. though, hissing cockroaches are much easier :)