Suggestions for Pandinus Cavimanus

Downthehatch11

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I am new to this website as well as owning arachnids. I just got my Pandinus Cavimanus a couple weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone can provide any info on humidifiers for small tanks. My house is really dry (tank goes to relative of 50%) so I need to constantly mist the tank to get it to the appropriate humidity (80%+) - not going to fair well for my scorpion when I leave to go on trips.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
My place is dry as well. It depends on your enclosure lid. A lid with less ventilation will lose humidity very fast. I don't trust the dial hydrometers either. Mine says 80% and 60% of the tank sides are soaked in condensation.

Downthehatch11

Arachnopeon
My place is dry as well. It depends on your enclosure lid. A lid with less ventilation will lose humidity very fast. I don't trust the dial hydrometers either. Mine says 80% and 60% of the tank sides are soaked in condensation.
So you suggest that I create more holes in my lid (currently I have no lid, just seran wrap with a hole big enoguh to fit my heating lamp through) in order to keep the humidity around longer?

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
I suggest you get a lid all your humidity is escaping around the heat lamp. I have my lamp on the side of the tank. Can someone please advise if heat is lost when putting it on the side going through the glass.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
I use heat pads and cables so idk about a lamp.... dont cook them.

My setup has alot of air flow and ventilation. I keep the substrate moist, offer two water dishes and give it a mist in the morning and at night.

I think having some air flow is key... dont want it to get moldy in there.

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you're having trouble keeping your humidity up you could setup a false bottom. There are multiple posts on the boards here with details.

As stated above a lid that limits the air flow will also help. It's a balancing act with that though. Without air flow mold/fungus will become an issue.

Downthehatch11

Arachnopeon
Cool, thanks everyone. I've managed to keep the humidity under control by making a lid out of a plastic frame and some saran wrap. I now only have to mist the tank around once a day and I poked about (14) 1/4" - 1/5" randomly dispersed holes in the saran wrap to allow for some air flow. I also now have a heating pad on the side and the heat lamp that I use shines through the tank.

I turn off the heat lamp and replace the bulb with a black light at night time (my scorp glows green) so that the temp cools down to attempt a simulation of day/night.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
UV (black lights) is harmful to scorpions FYI. IT should only be used under special viewing circumstances.

Downthehatch11

Arachnopeon
Good thing you told me that one Stewjoe, I had my blacklight shining on him a lot, but now I'll only do it to show my friends and to look at him when he's out and about. Maybe now that I'll stop shining it on him, he'll stop trying to scale the glass walls during the night. lol.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Glad to help, I use my black light on mine on occasion as well. Trying to climb the glass is normal for these if not most scorpions, I find it's the best way to pick it up. Just put out your hand and wait for it to fall over onto it. Mine does it alot less frequently once it claims a den and settles in but after cleaning the cage it's very restless for the next few nights.