Suggestions for new sling/dealer

Jake J

Arachnochode
Hi everyone! I'm new to AB but have been collecting T's for years. Wish I had known about this forum sooner, as I surely could've avoided some mistakes I've made along the way--most recently, purchasing from [dealer name redacted]. Last week, I received four new slings: C. cyaneopubescens, L. parahybana, A. versicolor, and P. muticus. Three seem to be doing well, but poor King Baboon arrived acting lethargic and died the next day.

[redacted] has a terrible LAG policy--$40 for shipping, and in the case of a DOA, they either refund the price of the spider or send you another...but you have to pay another $40 for shipping. To top it off, they gave my wife, who placed the order and reported the DOA, hell via email in their reluctance to accept that the T was actually dead and not molting. So although they've finally decided to fulfill their LAG obligation, we probably won't be dealing with them again in the future.

Long story short, I'd like some input from the experienced folks on this forum on what might be a good new T to add to the collection, which in addition to the aforementioned include G. rosea; B. albopilosum, vagans, and 2 smithi's; H. lividum; A. seemani; and N. chromatus. Had an A. avic as well, but the poor guy died recently, apparently due to molting complications.

Since I currently just have one OW, I'm inclined toward getting more, hence the P. muticus attempt. Poeci's sure are gorgeous, and seem to be reasonably priced, but all suggestions are welcome. One last thing would be a suggestion for a more reputable dealer (I've read some good reviews on Jaime's and Kenthebugguy).

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Just read the reviews before you buy. There are lots and lots of reputable people and places to purchase spiders from. The classifieds here on AB is a good place to start, there are two, the premium is for larger dealers, the other is for smaller dealers, breeders and people selling random ts.

As for good next spiders....G. pulchripes, B. smithi or emelia, or another avic avic. Avics avic are great because of their abundance, which makes them readily available, so you can purchase an adult if you are starting...because while adults still require specific housing, theyre much more forgiving than slings.

If your goal is pokies, get a P. cambridgei.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
As far as adding more OW to your collection, be careful. They're not all pet holes like the lividum. Lividums will stand their ground but aren't as likely to chase you round a room like some might be inclined to do. Pokies are beautiful but can be flighty and they are medically significant so be aware of that. Some of the Cyriopagopus are cool but can be bitey. Most OW are going to be fast and furious but they are so cool and they are my faves. You might try some more avics before jumping into OW T's. Versicolor is a beautiful T and more docile than OW so that might be a good choice.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@Jake J

Edit your post to remove mention of the specific seller. This is a great thread, but it'll get deleted if you don't :D It's against the TOS to discuss specific sellers outside of a review.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi everyone! I'm new to AB but have been collecting T's for years. Wish I had known about this forum sooner, as I surely could've avoided some mistakes I've made along the way--most recently, purchasing from Backwater Reptiles. Last week, I received four new slings: C. cyaneopubescens, L. parahybana, A. versicolor, and P. muticus. Three seem to be doing well, but poor King Baboon arrived acting lethargic and died the next day.

Backwater has a terrible LAG policy--$40 for shipping, and in the case of a DOA, they either refund the price of the spider or send you another...but you have to pay another $40 for shipping. To top it off, they gave my wife, who placed the order and reported the DOA, hell via email in their reluctance to accept that the T was actually dead and not molting. So although they've finally decided to fulfill their LAG obligation, we probably won't be dealing with them again in the future.

Long story short, I'd like some input from the experienced folks on this forum on what might be a good new T to add to the collection, which in addition to the aforementioned include G. rosea; B. albopilosum, vagans, and 2 smithi's; H. lividum; A. seemani; and N. chromatus. Had an A. avic as well, but the poor guy died recently, apparently due to molting complications.

Since I currently just have one OW, I'm inclined toward getting more, hence the P. muticus attempt. Poeci's sure are gorgeous, and seem to be reasonably priced, but all suggestions are welcome. One last thing would be a suggestion for a more reputable dealer (I've read some good reviews on Jaime's and Kenthebugguy).

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any advice!
1. Leave a review under that vendor - your experience will help others make an informed decision, indeed Slackwater is a terrible org.

2. If the shipping was via FedEx, then the pricing is pretty status quo for FedEx. This leads into a whole other discussion. PM me if you have Q's on this.

3. Most dealers don't refund shipping as a general policy. If the box arrives in good shape, but the T is DOA, the shipper did fulfilled their service adequately (bringing box from Pt A to Pt B) in the seller's eyes.

If you don't go classified's (I can recommend a great seller for P. cam's that I have bought from), then I highly recommend the following orgs I have ordered from Kelly Swift of Swifts Inverts, Arachnoiden and Jamie's Tarantulas. Most of my collection is from Swift, and he's top draw in my eyes, no one better, maybe equal, but not better when it comes to packing.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
From this list I vouch for arachnoiden, swiftinverts. They're the only ones I've used off this list and they have 100% top notch service, great shipping etc.

Also you should look into net-bug.net top of the line service with great Ts!!

Jake J

Arachnochode
@Jake J

Edit your post to remove mention of the specific seller. This is a great thread, but it'll get deleted if you don't :D It's against the TOS to discuss specific sellers outside of a review.
Thanks for the heads-up. I've removed the dealer's name.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The outfit you purchased from are flippers, they don't know what they are doing in regards to Tarantula's.

Purchase from reputable people, there are plenty out there.

Jake J

Arachnochode
Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I found out after typing my rant that my wife had already reordered a p. muticus that should arrive Thursday. So my next question for you all is this: assuming it arrives "happy" and healthy, what should I expect from this notoriously ill-tempered little guy? I assume it won't share the shy and reclusive traits with the lividum...

Thanks especially for the links and suggestions. We'll be perpetually in the market so those will definitely come in handy.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It certainly won't be friendly. Those are some beautiful T's but not known for their overly friendly disposition. What to expect? Expect a T that is tightly wound. Defensive, these guys don't back down. Don't even think about handling it lol. Well, you can think about it, but don't do it. They are awesome though, big, slick T that won't give a second thought about chewing you up if you get too close.

Jake J

Arachnochode
It certainly won't be friendly. Those are some beautiful T's but not known for their overly friendly disposition. What to expect? Expect a T that is tightly wound. Defensive, these guys don't back down. Don't even think about handling it lol. Well, you can think about it, but don't do it. They are awesome though, big, slick T that won't give a second thought about chewing you up if you get too close.
Thanks...I wouldn't dare try picking it up! Should I expect attempts at fleeing from its enclosure every time I go to feed it? Haven't known any of my T's to ever try this, presumably because their "comfort zone" is their enclosure so they prefer to hunker down in their hides instead. I'm expecting this guy to be quick to strike a threat posture, at least--but I hope I'll never have to chase it around the house, much less the other way around.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I found out after typing my rant that my wife had already reordered a p. muticus that should arrive Thursday.
You are a lucky man :) because your wife was enlightened and purchased a Goddess (or, if a sling, a potentially Goddess).

Eternal Glory to the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) and disgrace upon heretics & barbarians!

-- Noise of weapons, with armors of Legio and Centuriones screaming their Goddess loyalty oath to the sky --

cold blood

Staff member
Should I expect attempts at fleeing from its enclosure every time I go to feed it?
Not if its housed properly. If they have room to burrow or a good place to hide (burrowing depth is most important for P. muticus and other obligate burrowers). They generally bolt right into a burrow if they have one. Be aware though that even though you might think of P. muticus as a hunkering brute, its surprisingly quick when it wants to be.

So while its not something to expect, its something to always be aware of...always take preventative measures (catch cup, doing maintenance in a controlled area, utilizing long tweezers/tongs) and if the t is ever in a place that looks sketchy for opening, just wait and do it later. Better safe than sorry, ya know.

Jake J

Arachnochode
Not if its housed properly. If they have room to burrow or a good place to hide (burrowing depth is most important for P. muticus and other obligate burrowers). They generally bolt right into a burrow if they have one. Be aware though that even though you might think of P. muticus as a hunkering brute, its surprisingly quick when it wants to be.

So while its not something to expect, its something to always be aware of...always take preventative measures (catch cup, doing maintenance in a controlled area, utilizing long tweezers/tongs) and if the t is ever in a place that looks sketchy for opening, just wait and do it later. Better safe than sorry, ya know.
Just the advice I needed. I'll keep those suggestions in mind. Thanks!