Suggestions for first snake?

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Eastern Indigo Snake (Drymarchon corais) if money is no issue....
:razz:

What traits are you looking for in a pet snake? display snake, handleble snake; slowing/fast moving; under a foot, 4-6 feet, greater than 6 foot size; food item requirement (mice only, rats only, fish only, bugs only); type of killing method - constrictor vs non-constrictor; egg-laying snake vs live-bearing snake; etc.

Snakefox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Corn Snake or MilkSnakes are awesome 1st snakes , both come in a many differnt colors, eat every time, love frozen/thawed mice, don't get very large, nice temperments, not very expensive, these snakes are just awesome snakes for a 1st snakes and easy to keep. Yet they come in so many differnt colors that it makes them amazing to look at.

Most people would say Ball Pyton but unless you get it from a breeder then you might be getting a wild caught snake. WC ball pytons sometimes do not do well in captivity they are also picky eaters.Picky eaters are frustating to the 1st time snake owner. Not to mention WC snake have a high probablity of internal parasite... IE high vet bills.

Balls do make a nice 2nd snake but get them from breeder and not pet shop. I have rescued so many balls over the years it has been crazy. You can probably rescue one in your area for free. They are the 2nd most abondond snake the 1st being the burmeses python. Burms are docile snakes but as you many all ready know get huge and people get rid of them quick.

ehh nuff rambling snakes are fun pets :) Corn or Milk

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i got a corn snake a few months ago. it seems to be working out pretty well for me. it tooka little while for it to really let me hold it w/o trying to get away or looking kind of panicked... but it's cool earning its trust

plus, you know, all the colors and patterns and what not

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think any of the coulbrid species make great starter snakes.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where I went I saw ball python and I wanted to get one since they can grow up to 6 feet. I also saw a corn snake swimming around which I thought was pretty cool, but it's a shame they don't get too big. They also had one that got to 8 feet, but I forgot the name. I guess I'll get a cornsnake first, how long can they live? And how do they eat?

Can someone say all the ways snakes kill? Envenomation and constriction are the only two?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How about a rosy boa? They don't get very big and are very gentle snakes, I just love mine!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Where I went I saw ball python and I wanted to get one since they can grow up to 6 feet. I also saw a corn snake swimming around which I thought was pretty cool, but it's a shame they don't get too big. They also had one that got to 8 feet, but I forgot the name. I guess I'll get a cornsnake first, how long can they live? And how do they eat?

Can someone say all the ways snakes kill? Envenomation and constriction are the only two?
when i was still feeding my little baby corn live pinkies it didn't bother to constrict... it would just start eating. watching it eat a pinky face first while it was still alive was the final impetus to switch the little fella to frozen/thawed pinkies

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I vote for a sandboa of somesort. Kenyan or Roughscale.. They are usually VERY mellow. They dont spaz out all the time like cornsnakes and milksnakes. Theyre just nice to hold and look at because they dont always have somewhere to go! :D
I have milksnakes and hognoses as well. Out of those two I would say Hogs are more mellow. My milksnakes are just hyper!!!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I vote for a sandboa of somesort. Kenyan or Roughscale.. They are usually VERY mellow. They dont spaz out all the time like cornsnakes and milksnakes. Theyre just nice to hold and look at because they dont always have somewhere to go! :D
I have milksnakes and hognoses as well. Out of those two I would say Hogs are more mellow. My milksnakes are just hyper!!!
are sandboas one of the snakes that will "bask" on your hand/fingers? like, my cornsnake doesn't wrap himself up in my fingers... i think that would be fun and nice

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh snaps*, I just noticed I posted this in the Insects/invertebrate section.

Last edited:

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How about a rosy boa? They don't get very big and are very gentle snakes, I just love mine!
Where did you get one in this area? Or was it ordered. That reminds me, the eight footer was a boa.

Flagg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Corn snakes tend to grow longer and thinner than BPs. My Adult 03 corn is 5.5 ft. They can live to 15-20 years or more. I'd definitely say a corn snake is the best first snbake with a BP a good 2nd, as many here have said. I started with a corn, quickly got several more then got a female BP who is doing just great.

Corn snakes tend to be more active and curious than ball pythons.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cornsnake it is, although I'm not getting one till' October so there' plenty of times for more suggestions.

Flagg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well. there's always the show tomorrow at Du Page County Fairgrounds.

allanimalexpo.com

Kind of hit and miss with the corn selection there these days, but it should be getting batter this late in the summer.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
are sandboas one of the snakes that will "bask" on your hand/fingers? like, my cornsnake doesn't wrap himself up in my fingers... i think that would be fun and nice
Yes, they like to just hang out. They poke around a bit and will crawl down your shirt...:rolleyes: and peek out your sleeves. They're just happy to be there.
Rubber boas will wrap around your fingers. Its like wearing a living ring. They just bask on your fingers. They like to be at around 70 degrees so when you hold them it probably feels like a nice hot rock to bask on. :D These are sweethearts of a snake as well. Very mellow. I had one male that would musk me.... but all of the other 100 Ive held/had have been very decent and calm.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
was i am still on Insects and Other Invertebrates forum?
:D

sidguppy

Arachnopeon
Thamnophis aka Garthersnake

-unlike Corn- or Milksnakes, Rosy-, Sand- or Rubberboa's these are diurnal. so you won't end up with a snake that sleeps or hides all day or just "lays there". Garthers crawl around and hunt at daytime, they mate at daytime and almost all the behaviour there is to be seen happens right there with the lights on.
although giving birth usually happens really early in the morning before dawn

-they are very docile and easily to handle. don't let yourself be kept away by stories that they musk, stink or bite: that only happens when you catch a wild one!
and it's not fair: try holding a wild King- or Milk- or Cornsnake, or even worse, one of the boa's....see what happens! definitely not docile either.
captive-bred Garthers are highly active but also very docile. the head really is too small to do any damage.

-Garthers eat dead prey: thawed unfrozen smelt and the like. this makes for easy feeding: you don't have to get into smelly hairy rodents that can harm your snake when not eaten right away or can cause allergics to you or other people in the house. other prey include live guppies or goldfish in the waterbowl, earthworms and the like. don't forget to treat the dead fish with vitamine B or multivitamines.

-Garthers don't smell IF you keep the cage clean, remove dung and refresh the water. as any animalkeeper should do.

-Easy to breed! just a few months of cool temperatures and they breed. and you don't need an incubator: Gathers get live young that can be raised on earthworms until they're big enough to go for tiny fish and chopped up fish.

-colorful!

Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis "Flame" (linebred red variety)

Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus

Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia

these and more are all available from captive-bred stock
;)