Suggestions for cricket eating beast!

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone! So I'm looking for suggestions for a type of creature that has a huge appetite for crickets. You see sometimes I have lots of extra crickets due to breeding them and I only have six tarantulas to feed. I absolutely plan to get more T's, but space in my small house is limited. I was wondering, might there be a frog or gecko or absolutely anything that just loves to eat crickets, but doesn't take up any more room than a 10 gallon tank? Dont get me wrong, I have plenty of room for numerous 10+ gal tanks, but I want to save that room for more tarantulas. I posted this in not so spineless wonders because I just figured they would have the biggest appetite, but I'd consider anything that would eat crickets daily. Of course, I will not only be feeding said suggestions just crickets.

I'm really looking for something that is easy to care for, loves to eat and wont take up much space. I realize that I may just be better off getting more Ts, but if something exists that would out eat a bunch of Ts, but fits in a 10 gal size enclosure I'd like to know. :)

I hope that makes sense and thanks for reading! If you have a suggestion, could you also tell me about their basic care?

P.S. the extra crickets I end up with wont go to waste either way, but if I could feed my own critters I'd feel better about it lol.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
How about a Bearded Dragon ? They seem to have a decent appetite if I remember correctly and easy to care for... they definitely eat more than T's

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
How about a Bearded Dragon ? They seem to have a decent appetite if I remember correctly and easy to care for... they definitely eat more than T's
Thanks for the suggestion, I use to always want a bearded dragon. Unfortunately as moricollins said they would not fit in a 10 gal. At least not at full size. They always look so cute and fun to raise though.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
My pacman frog eats about 20 to 30 crickets a week. They don't require a lot of space. Get 5 of them and you should be set.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
My pacman frog eats about 20 to 30 crickets a week. They don't require a lot of space. Get 5 of them and you should be set.
That sounds like the appetite I'm looking for. I will definitely look into them, thank you very much for the suggestion!

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Fire belly toads. Dirt cheap and eat like pigs. Could put a few in a ten gallon.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
Frogs and toads seem the way to go for me. I'm getting really excited just researching them. You guys rock, great suggestions.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Hey man, I started keeping tree frogs for this exact reason.
My dwarf tree frogs get all the pinheads that hatch on their own and my whites tree frogs eat everything else - crickets, superworms, roaches, small children etc
You could get a juvenile whites and upgrade the 10 gal in 12 months

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
Hey man, I started keeping tree frogs for this exact reason.
My dwarf tree frogs get all the pinheads that hatch on their own and my whites tree frogs eat everything else - crickets, superworms, roaches, small children etc
You could get a juvenile whites and upgrade the 10 gal in 12 months
Thank you! I didn't realize how many frogs get large enough to eat "big" prey. I've never seen a white's tree frog for sale around my area, but I will definitely look into them as well.

I've got some research to do. :)

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
YOU!!!!!....Ever had roasted Crickets? What a treat!!

BBQ, SOUR CREAM + ONION, SWEET + SPICY...SO many choices!!

MMMMMMMMM.....TASTY SNACKS!!!

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
YOU!!!!!....Ever had roasted Crickets? What a treat!!

BBQ, SOUR CREAM + ONION, SWEET + SPICY...SO many choices!!

MMMMMMMMM.....TASTY SNACKS!!!
Hahaha are you serious? Along time ago I was at my local pet store and a guy purchased 500 crickets. I had to ask him what for and he replied "for me, I eat them" and I thought he was joking...now I'm not so sure lol.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Hahaha are you serious? Along time ago I was at my local pet store and a guy purchased 500 crickets. I had to ask him what for and he replied "for me, I eat them" and I thought he was joking...now I'm not so sure lol.
100% serious. Delicious + Healthy!!

People eat all sorts if insects....even Tarantulas in other parts of the world....flavored roasted crickets can be found easily all over the internet!...even chocolate covered!

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
100% serious. Delicious + Healthy!!

People eat all sorts if insects....even Tarantulas in other parts of the world....flavored roasted crickets can be found easily all over the internet!...even chocolate covered!
I will have to give this a try one crazy night. :lol:Thanks for the suggestion.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
Just an update, I've decided to go with the pacman frog. I've been looking into all of the suggestions and for now the C. ornata is the way to go for me. If after awhile all goes well I may get a dwarf tree frog or fire bellied toads as well to help eat the pinhead crickets. Pics to follow ASAP.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
Here's the little guy. Ceratophrys ornata. That was a much easier rehome compared to my tarantulas :lol: The enclosure may be a little big (10X6 knock off brand kritter keeper) but if feeding goes well he'll grow up pretty quick.

20200716_153047.jpg
20200716_153027.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
Here's the little guy. Ceratophrys ornata. That was a much easier rehome compared to my tarantulas :lol: The enclosure may be a little big (10X6 knock off brand kritter keeper) but if feeding goes well he'll grow up pretty quick.

View attachment 352770
View attachment 352771
Just make sure that water dish is shallow. They're cumbersome rascals and if the lip is too big could flip over in the water getting out.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
Just make sure that water dish is shallow. They're cumbersome rascals and if the lip is too big could flip over in the water getting out.
Yeah the dish is very shallow. I read in a care book I got that they are not super smart and can drown in the water if they flip. That is what you meant, correct? I didn't think about the lip of the dish, but I think it should be okay. Thanks for the tip!