Suggestions for colorful, non-pet-hole T?

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
H. sp. Columbia "Large", they get to about 3", my AF female, was at 2.75-3" DLS. Common name Pumpkin Patch. There are 2 other species that look very similar to this one, each one is successfully smaller than the other. I have one of those as well. The large "form" is the most common one of the 3.

It's the only locality I'm aware of that has adult colors from the beginning. Even at 1/8" they have adult colors. Also, their ferocious feeding response is present at that size as well, unlike many other NW Ts of that size.
I NEVER see mine. If you are looking for something that is always out, this may not be the best option, unless that is not normal behavior.

cold blood

Staff member
Know much about Pamphobeteus machala? Wifey loves the purple color. Looking for a reputable seller with reasonable prices.
Avicularia urticans.

As always, check the classifieds and corresponding review pages. Waaaaaay to many good dealers/sellers available to even start a list.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Holy Hell..how could I forget A. purpurea on my list?! Getting old - and yes: Totally beautiful Avic. Bit shy though.

Jake J

Arachnochode
Holy Hell..how could I forget A. purpurea on my list?! Getting old - and yes: Totally beautiful Avic. Bit shy though.
I read on a dealer's site that A. purpurea's husbandry needs are a bit more stringent with humidity and temp. Is that accurate?

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
The wife has sent me on a mission to find a new species that's colorful and isn't constantly in hiding. We already have a GBB, which I assume would be the go-to for most. Any suggestions besides the GBB?
A. Genic

Jake J

Arachnochode
So I discovered that a reputable dealer (based on so many AB members' feedback) currently has P. platyomma. Sounds like a nice pick to me, anyone concur? I'll probably order one in addition to the Pumpkin Patch--looking at you, @viper69 ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
P.platyomma only has the striking purple on the carapace when male and mature, so your wife wouldn't be enjoying it for long ;)

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
So I discovered that a reputable dealer (based on so many AB members' feedback) currently has P. platyomma. Sounds like a nice pick to me, anyone concur? I'll probably order one in addition to the Pumpkin Patch--looking at you, @viper69 ;)
I have three Pamphobeteus Platyomma they are great eaters and have a beautiful Orange abdomen with a black Christmas tree design on the back for the slings.

They're real aggressive eaters, one time I was feeding one of mine and I guess the wiggling legs were close to its hairs and it jumped a ways up to reach it from the tongs...love their feeding response!!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The wife has sent me on a mission to find a new species that's colorful and isn't constantly in hiding. We already have a GBB, which I assume would be the go-to for most. Any suggestions besides the GBB?
Your wife is awesome. I have to find me a lady like that who not only does not dislike inverts but encourages getting more!!!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I read on a dealer's site that A. purpurea's husbandry needs are a bit more stringent with humidity and temp. Is that accurate?
These seemingly are a bite more delicate in terms of humidity, yeah. I've raised a few of these and all did well, but they're very shy, somewhat photo-sensitive and easily stressed out.

Also...not constanty in hiding? Euathlus sp. "blue femur" (colorful) or A. geniculata (striking contrast - great eater - respectable size as adults) - hands down! Although, that's just my preference, it all comes down to what your wife and you like, not us readers.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
In addition to some of the ones already mentioned (GBB, B. emilia, etc), I have an N. chromatus that is out all the time, but is also quite skittish.

One that is a real treat to see out from behind its dirt & web curtain is my P. subfusca (HL). Nowhere near the vibrant colours of the regalis, but its patterning is much more striking.

Jake J

Arachnochode
In addition to some of the ones already mentioned (GBB, B. emilia, etc), I have an N. chromatus that is out all the time, but is also quite skittish.

One that is a real treat to see out from behind its dirt & web curtain is my P. subfusca (HL). Nowhere near the vibrant colours of the regalis, but its patterning is much more striking.
I have a chromatus sling (not sure at what point they are considered juveniles, but this one's probably getting close) who just molted a few days ago. Second molt since I've had it, and its red abdomen and striped legs are starting to show. It is skittish, but likes to hang out, and is a ferocious little eater! Love it.

I definitely plan on adding a pokie or two (three, four, it's all good!) in the near future. They seem like must-haves to any hobbyist/enthusiast. Thanks for the input!

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I have a chromatus sling (not sure at what point they are considered juveniles, but this one's probably getting close) who just molted a few days ago. Second molt since I've had it, and its red abdomen and striped legs are starting to show. It is skittish, but likes to hang out, and is a ferocious little eater! Love it.

I definitely plan on adding a pokie or two (three, four, it's all good!) in the near future. They seem like must-haves to any hobbyist/enthusiast. Thanks for the input!
No worries, Jake. Another that is very striking, but only when it gets older and develops an attitude (scaredy cats before that) is P. irminia. I would DEFINITELY recommend one of those if you are thinking of getting into pokies. Super fast, but nowhere near the hot venom if you God forbid get bit. Great stepping stone to pokies. I have two regalis, the aforementioned subfusca, and a P. vitatta. One regalis, Valeria, is getting close to 6". Beautiful to look at when she's out.