Suggestions for a Zoo's Invertebrate Building

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We just broke ground on our new Butterfly and Invertebrate building at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo. I was given the task to start deciding what species of insects, myriapods and arachnids we should use to display. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'd like to try and represent a few examples from all the different families of arthropods. Let me know what inverts you'd like to see at a zoo.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you can get tarantulas, get those. Get anyone of the Brachypelma spp. All are gorgeous and usually stay out in the open.

Also, a Theraphosa or Lasiodora spp. I'd go with the Lasiodora spp. though becuase they remain more in the open.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you definately need to get some Amplygids. Go with some classic tarantulas like T. blondi, L. parahybana, C. crawshayi. With scorps, you should get some species that aren't available in the hobby but available for zoos. The stag beetles that are popular in Japan would be awesome to see. :}

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ah man where do i start:? like everybody else said, ants,ts,scorps,whipscorps,there's mantids,sticks,millies etc, you can do aquatic insects too:diving beetles,giantwater bugs the list goes on and on,with all of those critters,wow that would be some awesome arthropod zoo:clap:

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Butterflies from around the world are always a favorite of the public. (caterpillars on display too)

A roach exhibit would be nice too, there arent many of them.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The Cincinnati Zoo has a very nice Insect House. You could copy some of their exhibits. I was told by a friend of mine that works at the zoo that they do trades and stuff with other zoos. You might want to contact them to see if they might be able to help you.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't know how well they fare in captivity, but a diving bell spider exhibit would be spectacular to see.

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive always thought velvet worms were super cool. but theyre not very big, and theyre not very spectacular looking. plus i doubt theyre very active.

on the super cool side though, they are super wierd. they gotta get high scores just for their wierdness

and dont forget mantids!! they get big and are fun to watch eat!

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get some wasps and have therm set up a colony in a nice little cage, I am sure that would be fascinating to watch, also the dragonflies and mantids are also very popular, I agree that an ant or bee colony would be an awesome display, I also suggest you get lesser known insects and try to educate people about the like natives bees ect ect.

Also just thought of this a moth house, I have never seen one of those before, and there are some stunning moths and there cats that would make an awesome display.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Moth house is a good idea.

The polyphemus moths and I.O. Moth are eye catching, and hawkmoths show amazing flying skills as they hover by flowers for nectar.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you definately need to get some Amplygids. Go with some classic tarantulas like T. blondi, L. parahybana, C. crawshayi. With scorps, you should get some species that aren't available in the hobby but available for zoos. The stag beetles that are popular in Japan would be awesome to see. :}
One problem with C.crawshayi in a zoo is they are never visible! THey are impressive, but not very good display items.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
good idea with the wasp, try and get them to build their nest on the glass so the people can see inside it too.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
good idea with the wasp, try and get them to build their nest on the glass so the people can see inside it too.
Its juust the hornets that have the enclosed nests and thei temperment is not ideal for being on display, the paper wasps would care less and their nests are open.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ehh, I get my names mixed up! The common lingo with Wasps and hornets. I think Hornets would still be just as fun!

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some of the rarer stick insects or leaf insects would be nice!

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmmm..

Mantids: target mantids (pseudocreoboter whalberghi)

Stick insects: giant prickly stick insect (i can't remember)

Also, what about a communal dwarf tarantula display? someone on these boards did this with holothele incei (trinidad olive) and it looked truly impressive.

some nice big scorps! P. imperator (emperor) or Dune scorpions

you could have a 'free taster' section where people could try mopani worms and wichita grubs:D