suggestions for a funnel web builder?

Hellbender

Arachnopeon
Hey all, I'm in the market for a new spider pet, it can be a tarantula or not. I'd like to find a cool specis that builds funnel webs like grass spiders that's attractive, as large as possible and whose venom won't kill my cats if it ever escaped or kill me or make me extremely sick if I got got tagged re-housing it. What are some suggestions? Thanks!

sasker

Arachnoprince
Ephebopus cyanognathus is probably about the closest thing I can think of tarantula-wise.
Isn't their venom quite potent for a NW?

OP, does the spider need to dig a tunnel in the ground, or is an 'air tunnel' also good? There are quite a few tarantulas that dig a nice tunnel down, but I can only think of OWs, which means strong venom.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Isn't their venom quite potent for a NW?
I'm not even sure if their venom potency is the same as other Psalmopoeinae given that Ephebopus are the only genus in the subfamily which possess urticating hairs. If their venom is on par with the rest of the subfamily then worst case is that a bite from an Ephebopus will ruin your day and possibly the day after, it's not going to potentially require a trip to the ER and/or mess you up for weeks afterwards like an OW bite.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I'm thinking Linothele megatheloides might be a good option for size, colour and web type, but they are extremely fast and I believe their venom is somewhat potent

sasker

Arachnoprince
If their venom is on par with the rest of the subfamily then worst case is that a bite from an Ephebopus will ruin your day and possibly the day after, it's not going to potentially require a trip to the ER and/or mess you up for weeks afterwards like an OW bite
Perhaps the venom is not enough to send a person to the ER, but OP mentioned he has cats. A bite might be more serious to cats.

Anyway, we have a cat as well, but the likelihood that she will be bitten by one of my OWs is very small. The tarantulas are in the living room, but their enclosures are quite cat proof.

Hellbender

Arachnopeon
I appreciate all the input I'm getting, thank you!

Sasker: An air tunnel is totally fine as is a ground tunnel.

I do have cats and normally they will never be close to my reptiles or my inverts without my supervision being in the same room but I was more thinking worst case senarios. I am somewhat familiar with potent venom as I have a singapore blue T and I've kept Scolopendra subsnipes in the past several times but I'd like to shy away from the most dangerous specis as I'm thinking long term and a family is in my future. Somday I'd like to live in a house with a dedicated pet room but for now I have to make do with it in the computer room where I have to leave the door open when I'm in there since my cats freak out if they cant get to me or at least see me from the doorway. Needy cats I swear lol

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I appreciate all the input I'm getting, thank you!

Sasker: An air tunnel is totally fine as is a ground tunnel.

I do have cats and normally they will never be close to my reptiles or my inverts without my supervision being in the same room but I was more thinking worst case senarios. I am somewhat familiar with potent venom as I have a singapore blue T and I've kept Scolopendra subsnipes in the past several times but I'd like to shy away from the most dangerous specis as I'm thinking long term and a family is in my future. Somday I'd like to live in a house with a dedicated pet room but for now I have to make do with it in the computer room where I have to leave the door open when I'm in there since my cats freak out if they cant get to me or at least see me from the doorway. Needy cats I swear lol
I wouldn’t call them dangerous, I would just say proceed with caution around them. We are more of a danger to them than they are to us. I see what you mean though. Are you looking for a true spider or a tarantula?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Perhaps the venom is not enough to send a person to the ER, but OP mentioned he has cats. A bite might be more serious to cats.
I've never heard of anyone losing a cat to a tarantula bite (unlike dogs which seem to be particularly sensitive to Selenocosmiinae venom). In any case, the likelihood of the cat killing the tarantula is much higher than the other way around.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Psalmos, tapis and most of the Asian arboreals make funnel webs, but your cat wouldn't appreciate a bite from any of the those.

Maybe a true spider like a grass spider or Ischnothele caudata is the choice for you.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Other suggestions: perhaps a C. versicolor, they make web tunnels, I understand (no personal experience). Or a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. The latter does not make tunnels or funnel webs per se. More like a cathedral of webbing. Mine tends to go over the same spot over and over again in the top of the terrarium. It has become a thick white carpet up there.

Hellbender

Arachnopeon
I know I havent posted much for many years but I have learned so much over the years since I joined in 2004. I've always loved how this community of people has been helpful and friendly. Thank you to all who have taken the time to chat with me and offer suggestions. I started getting into the hobby again about 3 years or so ago when I got my GBB and my Singapore Blue and I'm now enjoying the idea of getting more!

Mrghost mantis: A true spider or a tarantula would be fine with me.

Sasker: My GBB makes an awesome cathedral of webbing just like you said. It's quite elaborate although its about to be redone since its been awhile and I need to change the soil.

Edan Bandoot: What is the biggest grass spider specis? Any Idea?

How do you all feel about the Tiger Spider Linothele Fallax? I found a place not to far from me that has some that I can go in person to (Los Angeles area)

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Grass spiders are Agelenopsis sp. Theya re around the same size and super common on bushes in the US, especially Cali.

Hellbender

Arachnopeon
MrGhostMantis: I do know grass spiders, had lots of them as pets as a kid, the ones in the yorba linda, orange county, CA area are about an inch long. At least where I grew up. The ones I've found around the Santa Clarita area are much smaller. I just didnt know if there was a particular specis that was larger then the others.

Also wanted to update everyone! I wound up getting a 1/2" linothele fallax or the tiger spider and a small colony of 5 sub-adult two spot assasin bugs :) 20210419_231040.jpg 20210419_231044.jpg 20210419_233229.jpg 20210420_160531.jpg 20210420_160853.jpg