Suggested T releated preps before going to a Vacation

mozkaynak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,
I live in Denver, CO and have only 1 GBB which is currently slightly bigger than an inch. I will be on vacation (out of town) in Winter for 17 days. What should I do to make sure my T is safe while I am on vacation.
First of all, is it ok to leave it at home? Do I have to find a T sitter?
To my best knowledge food is not a problem for Ts (If I throw in a few extra cricket) and because GBB likes it dry, lack of humidity is also ok. Please let me know if I am not correct.
My bigger concern is the temperature. I am not willing to keep the temperature as high as regular but I am not sure what is the lowest temperature that is definitely safe for the T.
Also let me know your general suggestions about what to do before going to vacation for my T.
Thank you in advance!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I go on vacation, I ask a friend to water my Ts once a week. If your GBB is still living in a deli cup, you can cut a little X into the lid and then the T can be watered just by pressing an oral syringe into the X, no need to open the cup.

MobBurrow

Vial Creatures
Arachnosupporter +
Nobody's trustworthy for a simple misting in the middle of there?? Luckily there's only 1 which is also a hardier species. Just do what you can to prepare your water source and stall evaporation.@ Not sure what your keeping that gbb in but id just mist heavy and add a good size cap like gatorade or something if it fits. She may cop an attitude about the humidity but she'll get over it. Saving money on the heat will also save some moisture and your t from requiring as much of it so no problems there, couldn't imagine your house reaching a temp your t couldn't handle either. Also, see what you can do about the ventilation, less of it... whether it's moving containers or covering up some holes. Lastly what you gotta do is enjoy your trip, she'll be alright. If not oh well, don't blame me. Just like to help out newer tarantula people because I've noticed quite a few members don't care to but will gladly hand youa search function. :)

---------- Post added 11-03-2014 at 01:30 AM ----------

Take that last part back, got you some good advice while i was typing away like an idiot. Some people on ab are amazing help otherwise I wouldnt have stuck around. Also by heavy misting I assume you know not like a swamp.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not 100% on temperature, but I would think 17 days at in the 68-70ºF range would be alright. My understanding is that lower temperature will slow down a T's metabolism, but not do any damage.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I'm not 100% on temperature, but I would think 17 days at in the 68-70ºF range would be alright. My understanding is that lower temperature will slow down a T's metabolism, but not do any damage.
Yes if u raise the heat Ts need watered much more often also. So that's a great temperature for vacations.