Could you suggest me a T with the following characteristics:

- Not High maintenance
- Slow growing
- Have multiple colors
- Docile

Thank you very much!

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Aphonopelma sp. new river rust rump. Slow growing, docile (do not flick hairs like B. boehmei ), low maintenance, drawback is that they are not real vibrant in color but very cute IMO.

JC014

Arachnopeon
How about BRACHYPELMA EMILIA. its slow growing, colorful, and docile(though this depends on the personality of an individual t).

JZC

Arachnobaron
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens? Pretty bullet proof from what I understand, very colorful. Not sure of their growth speed, but they can be a bit skttish. but not very defensive/aggressive (I don't like to use aggressive with Ts)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens? Pretty bullet proof from what I understand, very colorful. Not sure of their growth speed, but they can be a bit skttish.
They grow fairly fast, and aren't really docile. That's missing 2 out of 4 of his requests.

---------- Post added 11-12-2013 at 09:38 AM ----------

G. Pulchripes.
Excellent choice. Some people say they're slow-growing, but mine are a more moderate rate.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My C.cyano indeed grows fast, but it's rather skittish.

Hell, if the OP didn't say multiple colors, I'd say G.pulchra. Beautiful, really slow growing (I've waited for my sling to moult from January till a week ago), said to be mostly docile, maintenance as low as Grammostola goes.

But it's monochrome. No tarantula is as black as G.pulchra IMO.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My C.cyano indeed grows fast, but it's rather skittish.

Hell, if the OP didn't say multiple colors, I'd say G.pulchra. Beautiful, really slow growing (I've waited for my sling to moult from January till a week ago), said to be mostly docile, maintenance as low as Grammostola goes.

But it's monochrome. No tarantula is as black as G.pulchra IMO.
Pulchra is arguably the most docile tarantula in the hobby, and certainly beautiful with it's black velvet. If there's one to wave the color requirement on, that would be it.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
Most Brachypelmas would fit the description. Some Euathlus sp would be good too. G pulchripes was also a good suggestion.

I'm curious why slow growing is a positive for the OP, though? Most people tend to prefer something that won't be in a pill vial for more than a few months...

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
There have been plenty of people that have made their GBB's slower growing due to the conditions at which they were kept. With the right temp and feeding regimen I think that you can control it a little bit but I would have to say that they are definitely not one of the slower growing T's. I have to agree with prairiepanda though, why would a slow grower be a plus. Especially if it's a T that has to Gain a couple inches before showing some good colors.

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Most Brachypelmas would fit the description. Some Euathlus sp would be good too. G pulchripes was also a good suggestion.

I'm curious why slow growing is a positive for the OP, though? Most people tend to prefer something that won't be in a pill vial for more than a few months...
I like slow growing. Slow growing = long-lived. For those of us keeping a tarantula as a pet and not a breeder, this is ideal. I want them to live a long time, and watch them go from tiny to large without the rush. Slowly is just a matter of patience. I have fast-growing species as well as I also enjoy them, but it does suck when they die sooner. B. smithi is slow growing (if not power fed) and is considered a must have for most, and IMO totally worth some tiny vial time. I don't power feed my slow-growers. They can take their good old time as far as I'm concerned. As any beginner does, I used to overfeed my T's so they grew faster, but then they die sooner. This hobby is fantastic at teaching patience. Sure beats a trip to the DMV ;)

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
I like slow growing. Slow growing = long-lived. For those of us keeping a tarantula as a pet and not a breeder, this is ideal. I want them to live a long time, and watch them go from tiny to large without the rush. Slowly is just a matter of patience. I have fast-growing species as well as I also enjoy them, but it does suck when they die sooner. B. smithi is slow growing (if not power fed) and is considered a must have for most, and IMO totally worth some tiny vial time. I don't power feed my slow-growers. They can take their good old time as far as I'm concerned. As any beginner does, I used to overfeed my T's so they grew faster, but then they die sooner. This hobby is fantastic at teaching patience. Sure beats a trip to the DMV ;)
Thanks for elaborating on that! I completely understand. Lifespan is one of the biggest reasons I prefer cats over dogs(I love dogs too, but cats are better suited to me for many reasons). I think if Ts gave the same emotional feedback as a cat or dog, I would want their companionship to last longer. I don't power feed, but I'm quite happy to see and experience the full life of each T even if it only lasts 7 years. I also keep jumping spiders, and their lives usually only last a few months. But every moment is magic :)

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pulchra is arguably the most docile tarantula in the hobby, and certainly beautiful with it's black velvet. If there's one to wave the color requirement on, that would be it.
Yup. I can only silently envy all the jet black tarantula owners, as my cca 5cm DLS sling, who by the way has a bit of a temper, but at this size it looks rather cute, has a long long way to go yet..

Seriously, screw colors, black is all you need!

RoseK

Arachnosquire
How about BRACHYPELMA EMILIA. its slow growing, colorful, and docile(though this depends on the personality of an individual t).
+1. I have two B. emilia: a mature male and a juvie female. Both can be energetic at times, but rarely kick hairs (well, mine don't anyway) and have yet to show any aggression.

JZC

Arachnobaron
My pulchra will let me flip her over, play with her fangs, and lightly squeeze her abdomen and she will do absolutely NOTHING. Really docile, never kicked hairs or threatened. They fit all the OPs requirements, except color. But the velvety jet black is amazing and captivating, especially right after a molt.

PlaidJaguar

Arachnoknight
I agree! I'm all about colorful, flashy Ts, but G. pulchra is at the tippy top of my wish list. That perfect panther black is simply fabulous.

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
My pulchra will let me flip her over, play with her fangs, and lightly squeeze her abdomen and she will do absolutely NOTHING. Really docile, never kicked hairs or threatened. They fit all the OPs requirements, except color. But the velvety jet black is amazing and captivating, especially right after a molt.
I'm just curious, but what would make a tarantula so tolerant to people's shenanigans? Doesn't seem like a great survival tactic in the wild. Do they just hold back the tears as they silently endure the prodding?