Suger Gliders anyone keep them??

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anyone keep these cute lil boogers?? And if so, how much did you pay for them and what are they like??

Luis138

Arachnopeon
I wish I could keep this guys but EVERYTHING seems to be illegal in CA. I have seen them in NV for around $250 each. Here even though they are illegal you could still find them once in a while in the classifieds for sale. Anywhere from $100 to $300 each. Depending on how fast they want to get rid of them.

From what I understand, they are really sweet little creatures. They bond with their owners and are really affectionate.

I would get one in a heartbeat but they don't sell their food/supplies here in any pet store I know.

Luis

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wish I could keep this guys but EVERYTHING seems to be illegal in CA. I have seen them in NV for around $250 each. Here even though they are illegal you could still find them once in a while in the classifieds for sale. Anywhere from $100 to $300 each. Depending on how fast they want to get rid of them.

From what I understand, they are really sweet little creatures. They bond with their owners and are really affectionate.

I would get one in a heartbeat but they don't sell their food/supplies here in any pet store I know.

Luis

Yea i heard they was illegal in some states otherwise you gotta have a license. My friend got one here in virginia at a fair for 400 and it came with a cage, food, dvd, book about them, and some other stuff!! Heck if i had that much money id be getting me a P. regalis, T. blondi, A. versicolor, and G. pulchra haha..... {D

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These cute mammals have been circulating in the hobby here in the Philippines... you can buy them at around $50 each... :cool:

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to have two of them. They are really cute and affectionate, but at night they are all over the place. One of mine would constantly run up one side, across the top, and down the other side...all night long. It was a metal cage...so very noisy. Other than that...they were great. I could feed them directly and everything....plus those huge eyes make them look soo innocent...lol.

It was a few years back, but I think they were around 100/ea.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I kept two rescued sugar gliders in the past, so I can't really talk about what they cost, but I will say this: they are fantastic animals, great bonds with the owner, but they are very husbandry intensive and you must know an exotics vet. This is definately an animal involving a lot of planning, research, and expense. You will need a large enclosure with plenty of behavioral enrichment items; a varied diet including pellets, fruits, veggies, live insects, and sap/nectar; absolutely pristine cleaning practices (they are very prone to deadly systemic infections); plenty of time to devout to taming, handling; ample time out of cage; and a vet skilled in their medical care. It is probably a good thing that they are a bit expensive to discourage impulse purchase, as they aren't the pet for any but the most committed of keepers.
Also, as others have mentioned, look into your state and city's legislation regarding licensure for keeping. The rampant exotics bans taking place all over the US mean a lot of red tape for you and your pet, especially if you think you'll ever have to move.

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I had a kind of sad experience with sugar gliders. Quite a long time ago, I purchased a couple of sugar gliders from a breeder. Of course, I was promised "hand-tamed babies," and what I got was definitely not that. Looking back, I should have confronted the people when I realized that these were neither juveniles nor hand tame, but I was stupid. Anyway, I tried and tried to tame them, but eventually they just became hands-off pets. They were still cute as heck, enjoyed interacting with each other, and they had nice, long lives, but they were definitely not what I expected. They didn't want anything to do with me except for food :rolleyes: I paid 100 dollars each for those little guys.

However, I'm currently having much more success with my Richardson's Ground Squirrel.

willywonka

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have had several of them over the years. A couple of things that you need to beware of are that they can be very susceptible to calcium deficiencies and they can die of loneliness. So, be ready to shell out for two Sugar Gliders. If you can spend a hour a day with them you will have a great pet.