Succulents and Tarantulas

CJ Moak

Arachnopeon
Hey there!
I’m a newbie but I’ve been doing a ton of reading here and google searches and have been trying to find things out on my own. I’d like to have a discussion about some live plants for enrichment. I have a Peruvian Purple Pink Toe coming in the next 2-3 weeks. I know that they are tropical and arboreal and my terrarium is close to completion. I do have artificial plants and there are plenty of hides and crawling space and he/she will not be bored. Here is my questions that I am having trouble in finding the answer to.

Are succulent plants safe for tarantulas? I know to disinfect and “purify” it from fertilizers and pesticides before putting it in the tank but I want to know if it’s naturally safe. There are no barbs or spines, they require some moisture and watering every now and again and the tank will be in the living room so there will be natural, ambient light and yet dark enough at night for the spider to be out and about. If this is not a safe plant, please let me know what is and that are easy to care for.

Thanks guys!

fried rice

Arachnoknight
Succulents should not be in your tarantula’s enclosure. All tarantulas in the Avicularia genus are from tropical places (which doesn’t mean you need to mist the enclosure) while succulents are from dry places. Also, it wouldn’t provide any “enrichment” because while they are on the ground the tarantula will be at the top of the enclosure.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
One of the issues with live plants is lighting. Most succulents I have grown have needed direct sunlight which might be an issue. Another is that some spiders will bulldoze any decorations, uprooting plants, etc. An arboreal may not but then there is also the webbing which could hide the plant from the light it needs,

cold blood

Staff member
live plants offer no more "enrichment" than plastic plants...live plants are like expensive enclosures...theyre for the keeper, not the t within.

CJ Moak

Arachnopeon
Moakmeister, this is terrifying 😂😂😂 if we’ve come from the same family, everybody else is in trouble 😂😂

ok, thank you guys! I figured I’d ask. Thanks for the info!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’d like to have a discussion about some live plants for enrichment.
enrichment for what/who? Ts don't need this, nor suffer from lack of enrichment.

my terrarium is close to completion
Post a pic, and let's see. Many new people kill their Avics, let's make sure that's not you
he/she will not be bored
They don't have this capacity to be "bored".

Your Avic will web right over that plant, then plant dies.

CJ Moak

Arachnopeon
enrichment for what/who? Ts don't need this, nor suffer from lack of enrichment.

Post a pic, and let's see. Many new people kill their Avics, let's make sure that's not you

They don't have this capacity to be "bored".

Your Avic will web right over that plant, then plant dies.
Goodness. I’m just looking for it to be a pet rather than just a part of a collection. I’ve decided not to put the succulent plants in as I’ve found many people that advised against it. Every animal has a personality and I’m just trying to provide the best life for him or her. Attached is what I have currently. I’m waiting for the substrate to come in. My last tarantula loved it. Climbed on everything and rarely hid. She passed of old age. I say I’m new because I’ve only had one and am still learning. But thank you for your input.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Goodness. I’m just looking for it to be a pet rather than just a part of a collection. I’ve decided not to put the succulent plants in as I’ve found many people that advised against it. Every animal has a personality and I’m just trying to provide the best life for him or her. Attached is what I have currently. I’m waiting for the substrate to come in. My last tarantula loved it. Climbed on everything and rarely hid. She passed of old age. I say I’m new because I’ve only had one and am still learning. But thank you for your input.
These wild animals are not pets in the traditional sense. Due to their neurobiology, they lack most brain structures common in other traditional pets, many of the things one would want to do/provide are simply not needed, ie the T has no idea.

I would suggest you drill some strategic holes in the top. Avics form a canopy generally, and when they molt you may not have access to provide it water after molting. They don't always drink from the dish, esp after a molt.

I would also put more holes in the sides at least.

Indeed Ts do have different behavioral traits even sacmates. However none of this lends itself to a personality that we are familiar with.

And don't handle your Avic, that's the best way to kill it other than having a setup that is moist/stuffy.

CJ Moak

Arachnopeon
These wild animals are not pets in the traditional sense. Due to their neurobiology, they lack most brain structures common in other traditional pets, many of the things one would want to do/provide are simply not needed, ie the T has no idea.

I would suggest you drill some strategic holes in the top. Avics form a canopy generally, and when they molt you may not have access to provide it water after molting. They don't always drink from the dish, esp after a molt.

I would also put more holes in the sides at least.

Indeed Ts do have different behavioral traits even sacmates. However none of this lends itself to a personality that we are familiar with.

And don't handle your Avic, that's the best way to kill it other than having a setup that is moist/stuffy.
I don’t intend to handle it, I just want to watch. I’ll Ask my fiancé and see if he could create more ventilation points. I shouldn’t say “providing enrichment” I should have said trying to make it as a natural of a habitat as possible. Thank you again. After a molt, I’ve read that they drink or need to drink a lot. If the T won’t want to drink from a dish, what is the best way to get water to it at the top?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don’t intend to handle it, I just want to watch. I’ll Ask my fiancé and see if he could create more ventilation points. I shouldn’t say “providing enrichment” I should have said trying to make it as a natural of a habitat as possible. Thank you again. After a molt, I’ve read that they drink or need to drink a lot. If the T won’t want to drink from a dish, what is the best way to get water to it at the top?
I alwasy have drilled in holes at the top, and use a syringe, blunt tip, and add in water drop wise. If the canopy is dense, you can use the webbing as a natural dish to a point.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
live plants offer no more "enrichment" than plastic plants...live plants are like expensive enclosures...theyre for the keeper, not the t within.
I don't know about that....my MM seems to really like his fake plant. He spends a lot of time climbing it and trying to shove the lid off of the enclosure.
*sigh*
And that is why there's a book on top of it now.
Plants: Stepladders to freedom.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't know about that....my MM seems to really like his fake plant. He spends a lot of time climbing it and trying to shove the lid off of the enclosure.
*sigh*
you apparently misunderstood mt post

CJ Moak

Arachnopeon
*sigh*
He just wants to snuggle!! 😂😂