Successfully Breeding/Raising Solifugids

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Everyone,
I have successfully cared for a couple of different species of solifugids as juveniles to adults but I have never had any gravid individuals. I just received a few individuals that are very visibly gravid of the "yellow species" and the "black species". I have done some searching on the boards and found info on adult care etc but just wondering if anyone has had success with egg laying, incubation and raising juveniles? I'm going to setup the gravid females (individually of course!) with a sandy-soil substrate and create a deep artificial burrow with some slightly moist substrate at the bottom. I'm giving them this burrow because some of the individuals are so large I'm surprised they can move around! Is there anyone out there that has had successful egg laying and incubation experiences? I have access to tiny feeders so I'm not worried so much about them after they have hatched.
I have had success keeping them at warmer temps, with a good amount of space and substrate. Any advice anyone can provide would be great!
Thanks in advance!

Steven Gielis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you certain that the females are fertilized?
I have only breeding experience with burrowing species (Rhagodes sp.). But most species dig a shelter for oviposition. So important it is to keep a temperature of 28°C and the soil must be slightly moist.
After oviposition the female will guard the eggs. They can take up to a month to hatch depending on the species. After hatching the larvae are immobile. After a week they will shed and become active. All the time the female will guard her young and mostly she dies shortly after the young become mobile.
You can start feeding them at this point. They are also cannibalistic so after a while it will be necessary to split them.
You can keep the young very similar as the adult. But I advice a temperature of 26°C. Sprinkle the terrariums short every day so they can drink.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Steven!
I'm not sure if the eggs have been fertilized or not. They came from a wild caught source and the females that are gravid are so large that the eggs are visible through the abdomen. I will get them setup right away with some good heat and a partially moist burrow. Some of them were pretty lethargic when they came in so I'll get them warmed up and settled in ASAP. That's the only thing I don't like about the solifugids, most of them come from WC sources and they don't seem to do overly well with the shipping process. Hopefully all these guys will bouce back! It would be interesting to have some babies!
Thanks again for the help!

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So has anyone raised offspring to full size? Any F2 babies yet?