SUCCESS!! He Agreed!

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey all, My boyfriend agreed to let my son have a tarantula. I kinda have been a pest, with an adult twist. (pestering my mom when I was a kid always worked when I wanted something enough)...anyhow..My boyfriend said that because my kid relates tarantulas with his father he will let him have one, but I have to get it from the show, and if it gets out he will get it with either his boot or the flyswatter. Fair compromise?
Now with those details out of the way, any suggestions as to the BEST first tarantula? I really was told by one person either a Brazillian Black, a Pink zebra beauty, or a Curly...sorry, I know y'all hate common names but I dont know the scientific ones...and I really had wanted to get a Mexican redknee...your comments please?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a Costa Rican Zebra and a Mexican Redknee and I just traded a Pink Toe. Those are all great. I had a Rose before, but I think they're over rated. My Zebra has been very well behaved, and eats well. My Redknee was a hair kicker at first, but is now quite calm. The Pink Toe was kinda boring, but had a nice web if you're into asthetics.

N.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Get a rosie. (Grammostola rosea) Since this is your sons first starter tarantula and he has no experiance with them, get a rosie. THey are calm, docile and pretty. Some experianced owners think they are boring to look at and boring natured. But I love mine, she is beauty. I love her. If you dont get that, get a mex red knee. (B.Smithi) I am happy for your son, I bet he will be soooo excited. Oh, and get a female, they live longer. Congradulations to you both. Maybe yr BF will warm up to your fuzzy one day. :D

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
yea, get a rosie GREAT first T. It was my first T and i loved it(Till i had 2 move:()and cared for it, just dont start BIG! Rosie's are calm and handable. B. emilia,(Sorry if u dont know the tech name mexican red legs) is a good 2 T(In my head). But dont take any of our advice, try it out for yourself :), thats pretty much the best way to find things out....

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My standard answer to these questions is almost anything from the Aphonopelma (the zebra or stripe knee you see a lot is A. seemanni), Avicularia (the pinktoe is A. avicularia), Brachypelma (the curly is B. albopilosum), or Grammastola (the Brazilian black is G. pulchra) genera make good tarantulas for first time owners. You can also include the E. campestratus (this is the Pink zebra beauty. The reason these make good starter Ts is that they tolerate a wide range of humidity and temp conditions meaning you don't have to go to too much trouble to keep the healthy. Most species are very docile as tarantulas go and if you do somehow get bitten they're all known to have very mild, harmless venom. Plus, they're commonly available in some variety.

There are some really good Aphonopelmas such as the Arizona blond (A. chalcodes), Mexican bloodleg (A. bicoloratum), and Costa Rican zebra (A. seemanni) that are fairly docile, hang out in the open, and are very attractive.

The only downside to the Avicularia is that you don't see them as often as the others because they are arboreal and spend most of their time in their tube webs that they make. I would probably go with plain old A. avicularia for a first because they're commonly available in sub-adult to adults at inexpensive prices.

The most colorful will be some of the Brachypelma such as Mexican redknee (B. smithi), Mexican fireleg (B. boehmi), Mexican redleg (B. emilia). Curlies are in the same group and have all the great characteristics of the genus if not the colors and are very inexpensive. This is my favorite group of tarantulas by far.

The Grammastola have the Chilean rose (G. rosea) that is the most commonly sold T, the Brazilian black (G. pulchra), the Chaco golden stripe (G. aureostriata) that are commonly available and good Ts.

I have no experience with Eupalaestrus Ts so you'll have to let someone else fill you in on this one.

As for getting permission to get the spider, congrats. If you're lucky it will go like it did with James (Tarantula Lover). He had to beg and plead with his mother to get his first T and then beg and plead to get it out of the chilly basement. But, as time passed she warmed up to it and when it died prematurely of moulting complications his mom was crying she'd grown so attached to the thing.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with Spider Saviour on G. rosea. They are inexpensive, usually not too defensive, and not difficult to care for. They do however, often go on fasts that tend to freak out quite a few newbies.

John

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats great news,
First off, are you getting a sling or going for an adult female?
If I was going to have just one T, it would surely be a adult female. Or at least a guaranteed female. Then I'd get something really nice, like a B. smithi ( Mexican Red Knee ), or G. pulchra
( Brazilian Black ) which are on your list, or maybe a
G. aureostriata ( Chaco Golden Knee ). All great T's and they can be handled in most cases.:)

Its going to be tough too pick just one. Have fun with it.;)

Ernie

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Great, I bet your son is very happy! Sounds like the B/F is a pretty good guy.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
really he is...

He is a great guy, that is why i was so bothered that he would say "NO" about getting this T. It made no sense. I am glad he finally agreed, but now my son thinks the show is too long of a wait..lol..never satisfied. Thats too bad, he will just have to wait.
Is there much difference in a redleg and a redknee? My husband always called his a redleg, but by pictures, it was a redknee. I don't remember the kind he had when i first met him...I just remember he named it Lucifer and it would rush at my hand, and freak my eighteen yr old self right out...ha ha that was a looooong time ago.
Everyone seems to have their own opinion on what the best "FIRST" is...I really want a redknee, I like the colors. Give a kid an inch, they want a mile..my kid said a Baboon, and I told him he could have all of those he wanted...once he is livin on his own. :p

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Red legs (from what I've seen) have always had a higher price tag.

I'd have to vote Avic. Avic. or G. Rosea also. You'll be itching constantly if you pick up the redknee.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: really he is...

Originally posted by rapunzel
He is a great guy, that is why i was so bothered that he would say "NO" about getting this T. It made no sense. I am glad he finally agreed, but now my son thinks the show is too long of a wait..lol..never satisfied. Thats too bad, he will just have to wait.
Is there much difference in a redleg and a redknee? My husband always called his a redleg, but by pictures, it was a redknee. I don't remember the kind he had when i first met him...I just remember he named it Lucifer and it would rush at my hand, and freak my eighteen yr old self right out...ha ha that was a looooong time ago.
Everyone seems to have their own opinion on what the best "FIRST" is...I really want a redknee, I like the colors. Give a kid an inch, they want a mile..my kid said a Baboon, and I told him he could have all of those he wanted...once he is livin on his own. :p
congratulations! the redknees are pretty hardy and easy to care for, I have 12 of them and they are kept on bone dry substrate with a full water dish available at all times. be aware they will readily kick urticating hairs.
Ed

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Re: really he is...

Is there much difference in a redleg and a redknee? My husband always called his a redleg, but by pictures, it was a redknee.
That depends on how old you are. Back in the beginning of the hobby, what now has the common name of Mexican Redknee (B. smithi), was known as a Mexican Redleg. In present times, the Mexican Redleg is B. emilia. Glad to hear the B/F caved :)

Good luck with whatever you get.

Scott

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
so then he was right..

considering every one he ever bought was from a petstore, I am sure he was told redleg...and 'iffen' they used to be called that, well then..now I see.
Well, if my kid gets the last word (it IS for him, lol) he has been sitting here clicking from picture to picture and I now have a Brazilian Black as my desktop pict. Thats his choice. I even tried mixing up different pictures and having him pick again, he still likes that one. Now I gotta hope I can get one at the show in Feb. Annnd that it wont cost too darn much.We don't wanna get a s'ling, gotta be out of a critical stage, and big enough to actually view in the tank set-up.

anthony2561

Banned
Old Timer
why????Slings are kool and cute for ur kid....OH!!!! ic now, he also wants 2 c it feed on crickets gottcha now:D I think thats great, but there is a downside to that. If he REALLY likes his new spider, then hell want another, and another, and another then he will move out and start his own spider farm 2 attract tourists, AND.........sorry i got carried away, but he most likely want another though.. and what show??????????? The dixie reptile show????? When is that anyway???

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
no, i am talking about the one here

in Michigan. Its the second Saturday of the month...every month I think, and it is right down the road from my house, which is really cool.
It isnt that far away, a couple weeks...it cant be any harder to wait for than waiting on Christmas morning...I gotta find something to do really nice for my b/f for givin in...he is restoring an antique tractor out back, guess I could get online and look for some parts for him, like a radiator..

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but expect to pay a good sum for a large Brazilian Black. On a happier note, congrats on getting the man to cave. :)

Bill

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i dont mind paying a FAIR price...

its the "jack-up" Petstore prices that I dont wanna deal with.
Know what I mean?
B/F said he wanted something with color...too late, he doesnt get a vote. He can decide to get one with color later if he chooses :)
because we have decided on the Brazilian black.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: i dont mind paying a FAIR price...

its the "jack-up" Petstore prices that I dont wanna deal with.
Know what I mean?
B/F said he wanted something with color...too late, he doesnt get a vote. He can decide to get one with color later if he chooses :)
Sadly, and I know most of you will think I'm nuts, but I've gotten better prices at pet shops. One of the shops does breed their own Ts, so that may or may not count, but other than the time I got ripped off on the avic. I've done well with pet shops.

N.

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: i dont mind paying a FAIR price...

Great choice, I have a BB and think it is my fav of my Tarantula collection.It is very docile (something my G.rosea couldnt be accused of !!) AlthoughI dont handle any of mine If/when i do the BB would be the one because of its docile nature.
Good luck.

Chid