Substrates VS.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OK, stupid question I know, but I'm a beginner still and how often should I change the substrate? I've had my T for about a month now and should I have changed it already? I don't know. Sorry.
I have some T's on the same straight for over two yrs. I only change strate when I'm re-housing or if I am re-using a container for a new T.

Spot clean the enclosure every month or so and you should be fine. Terrestrials line their strate with silk, taking it out every month would (IMO) stress the T out.

PIG-

DoucheBgalo

Arachnopeon
I have some T's on the same straight for over two yrs. I only change strate when I'm re-housing or if I am re-using a container for a new T.

Spot clean the enclosure every month or so and you should be fine. Terrestrials line their strate with silk, taking it out every month would (IMO) stress the T out.

PIG-
Oh ok thank you man. Thank you for the sound advice, but I don't know how to spot clean things. How exactly do I do that?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh ok thank you man. Thank you for the sound advice, but I don't know how to spot clean things. How exactly do I do that?
I only use peat, straight.
I do two things when cleaning:

1. I take a spay bottle with warm tap water and spray the sides of the tank that have poop stuck to it and let it soak. Then with a damp paper towel, I rub off the poop.

2. With a pair of long tweezers, I remove all the remains of food (bolus) from their enclosures.

Thats it.

PIG-

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

1. I take a spay bottle with warm tap water and spray the sides of the tank that have poop stuck to it and let it soak. Then with a damp paper towel, I rub off the poop.

2. With a pair of long tweezers, I remove all the remains of food (bolus) from their enclosures.
Ditto on the cleaning.

I use coco fiber and/or peat moss and/or vermiculite, either alone or in some combination, depending on whether I'm housing a burrowing species or not. Also it depends on which I have the most of on hand at the moment. ;)

DoucheBgalo

Arachnopeon
I only use peat, straight.

Thats it.

PIG-
Oh alright. Thanks man. You've been more than helpful here. Actually, the only thing more helpful I can think about you doing is that if you actually come to my house and take care of the deed here. Haha. JK. But yeah, thanks again so much. I'm probably gonna have more questions about different things and stuff but yeah.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Peat only.
I've found no reason to bother with anything else.

My animals have certainly never expressed a preference to me, as someone eluded to.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Peat only.
I've found no reason to bother with anything else.

My animals have certainly never expressed a preference to me, as someone eluded to.
I've always been a fan with peat.. It can be used as a dry substrate or you can pour some in a bucket, mix some water then squeeze the water out and pack it in the bottom of the enclosure to retain moisture