Substrates VS.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
So, when it comes to substrates for T's I see quite a wide variety being used by different people. Some use wood chips, others use straight peat, coconut fibers, some use top soil, and some use sand..then I see this fake grassy stuff....its all just too much lol. So I wanted to ask you all and get your opinions on which substrate works best.

Which type do you use and why?

What are the pros and cons for each type?

What has your personal experience been with each one..(ie. hard to keep moist, hard to keep clean, mold growth, mites, etc..)

Anything else you want to ad..?

Im sure that it depends on the specific species of T's also. Over the years Ive used wood chips, top soil and sand, (yes, I know wood chips and sand are bad, this was a mistake I made as an amateur keeper) and I find that most of my terrestrial T's are happy on the soil. I also make sure there is plenty of ventilation..

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Never use wood chips or sand. That is bad for Ts. Anyway, I use 100% coconut fiber. Works well for my Ts. Might try a different type sometime soon though.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually buy the brick stuff , and put some moss in there . When you wet the substrate , the ts can burrow and move the moss around and make it look more "wildy"

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I prefer a blend over straight coco fiber. It tends to be a little too light and fluffy by itself for good burrows. I mix mine about half and half (maybe more coco fiber than soil) with cheap potting soil. The only one I can easily find that doesn't have fertilizers is one of the cheapest brands you can get. I buy big bags at the hardware store. (I'm not listing brands or stores because the last time I did my post got removed). It makes the mix a little more dense and seems to hold moisture better, and I don 't have mold issues. The Ts seem very happy in their burrows, also.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use Sphagnum peat moss substrate. Don't confuse it with peat moss which is that plant looking stuff. I buy them by the bale (2.2 cu ft.) at Lowes for cheap and it last a long time. I mix in just a little vermiculite as well.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not a blender

I only use peat because of it's mold-resistant quality. I may eventually switch to a blend in attempt to strengthen burrow stability in some enclosures, etc.- until then that'll be reserved for flowerbeds, cigars and cooking. :)

Terry

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been using: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752443

Love the stuff. Seems to hold for burrowing pretty well. Haven't seen any mold or mites so far. Holds humidity well.

Only con is it does have some larger hunks of stuff in there, but it's pretty easy to run your fingers through to remove from the top layer for small slings.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Coco coir. It's clean. Non-dusty. It holds burrows best. It's water absorbing, holding, drying properties are awesome. It's cheap enough. And the bricks store like a champ.

I've used peat too, but it doesn't compare imo.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I use 100% coco fiber. It works best for mine, and is what they prefer.:)

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use straight peat and for burrowing terrestrials I use a 70/30 peat/vermiculite mix. Works just great.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Since using peat for Ts is not required as it would be for certain plants and the fact that it is incredibly ecologically damaging for peat to be harvested, I use EcoEarth (vermiculite).

For those that use peat, I wish you would think about the peat bogs being destroyed when you don't even need to use that particular substrate.

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Since using peat for Ts is not required as it would be for certain plants and the fact that it is incredibly ecologically damaging for peat to be harvested, I use EcoEarth (vermiculite).

For those that use peat, I wish you would think about the peat bogs being destroyed when you don't even need to use that particular substrate.
EcoEarth is coco fiber not vermiculite

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use regular potting soil that I sift first and get all the bark chunks out of.

Yep.

They've been living in it for more than a year, and well, they do what spiders do. It sure is not pretty, but it is soft, and easy to dig up if its a tiny bit damp.

Only drawback was the gnats. I have desert species of tarantula, so I just keep it bone dry, and have a hide for them.

XzotticAnimal420

Arachnosquire
EcoEarth is coco fiber not vermiculite
Originally Posted by LeilaNami View Post
Since using peat for Ts is not required as it would be for certain plants and the fact that it is incredibly ecologically damaging for peat to be harvested, I use EcoEarth (vermiculite).<<<<<<<<<<<<<

~~~I was about to tell you that I was incredibly confused... but Possumburg straightened it out for me..lol

I went to the LPS and picked up a brick of coco fiber, they didnt have EcoEarth brand, instead it was ExoTerra Plantation soil...which I was told is the exact same thing..it does say its coco fibers on the back..anyway, I mixed that 50/50 with potting soil and my T's are loving it!

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I prefer a blend over straight coco fiber. It tends to be a little too light and fluffy by itself for good burrows. I mix mine about half and half (maybe more coco fiber than soil) with cheap potting soil. The only one I can easily find that doesn't have fertilizers is one of the cheapest brands you can get. I buy big bags at the hardware store. (I'm not listing brands or stores because the last time I did my post got removed). It makes the mix a little more dense and seems to hold moisture better, and I don 't have mold issues. The Ts seem very happy in their burrows, also.
yea at my local hardware store there 20 pound bags for like 2.50 $ would last a good while

DoucheBgalo

Arachnopeon
OK, stupid question I know, but I'm a beginner still and how often should I change the substrate? I've had my T for about a month now and should I have changed it already? I don't know. Sorry.