Substrate ?

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think Wal-Mart carries potting soil as well as Canadian sphagnum peat moss. Make sure you get something without any added chemicals or additives.

Adrian

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
alias, i certainly care about the environment.

if i may ask you a question...isn't at least using peat substrate for live animals better than some of the other applications it might have? i mean, it is helping to sustain living things.

i'm NOT saying i'm in favor of peat bog destruction by any means. however, i think the T keepers are a little defensive b/c they are a small fraction of a much, much larger industry that uses peat moss for other things.

i think most people here have the view that many people do who are sort of worn-down by so many issues assaulting people today...what will my little difference make to the larger picture?

i for one would definitely sign something to help stop larger industry from destroying peat bogs and certainly support anything that actually worked in creating artificial cultivation of said medium.

don't take it personally. i respect the passion for your cause. i can also become very aggressive when it comes to animal neglect and abuse.

however, all we can do ultimately is a little at a time. try aiming your passion at the industry as a whole instead of smaller groups of people honestly trying to help support nature on a more personal level.

just think, maybe one day your passion will end the peat bog destruction. you never know. think positively. however, you have to also consider other points of views. ask them why they are so dedicated to this form of substrate and perhaps they'll tell you they've lost animals on other forms...certainly that would be a moving reason to anyone.

in anycase...i admire your fervant support of your own beliefs. :)

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
greetings from arachnohippie

thank you, skadiwolf.

I really believe that your small difference can do a lot to a larger picture. because that larger picture is made of millions of people like you and me - the customers of car industry, oil industry, or peat industry :) I dont belive too much, that the enviromental problems can be solved from "above" - I mean only by laws and restrictions made by government..I also dont believe in so called eco-terrorism...going to a peat storehouse and burn it down for example doesnt solve anything :)...the thinking of all the people has to be changed, and the best way to change it is to make your life a good example for other people...I know, that car industry/meat/peat industry wont bankrupt just because I dont use a car/eat meat/peat (or whatever) :D...I dont want to be a preacher (just because Im not perfect, I would have to live in a cave and eat berries to be 100% nature friendly :)), I just hope that somebody could say "hey, look at that guy, he lives without all this things and is happy anyway, lets try it also!"....nothing more, nothing less

I hope you get the point even with my so awkward english :)

now back to peat :) I know that peat is easily replaceable by other substrates, otherwise I wouldnt say a word. I use ground coconut (lignacel, or bedabeast or how do you call it) and it works just good. never had any dead T because of it, believe me :) even my burrowing Ts are digging in it happily. if it dries out too quickly, I just mist more often. definitely dont feel like i am hurting my Ts..and definitely not hurting any peat bogs...nice feeling ;P

oh I almost forgot...I visited peat bogs here in czech republic few times 5 years ago...its wonderful (and very very strictly) protected...if there are any in USA, make a trip there :)

bye bye, Im going to hug some trees.

p.s. - i like your remark about positive thinking...pointing at gardening industry "look, dont blame us, they are much worse!" doesnt seem too positive to me =D peace..

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
personally i'm going to try repti bark with more of my Ts. i just tried it with my two Curly Hair slings and like i said they love it. it is also AWESOME when it comes to holding in humidity...so what the hell.

now now, i am all for positive thinking. however, one must be realistic when one is considering the true villians in any environmental cause. i'm not using the fallacy of hypocracy, simply saying that many people feel that if more people truly cared, the larger industry giants wouldn't be able to get away with it.

if you solve the larger company problem, we won't have peat bog moss to purchase after all. :) that would leave everyone little choice, and, ultimately, benefit the environment.

i mean, personally, i think humans are a virus upon the face of the earth...but hey, just my opinion. :)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alias,

although you do have a point about peat not realy being a renewable resource, i do think that the use in the pet trade is so insignificant that it is not an issue in terms of overall environmental impact. The amount used in a single day in a single peat burning power station is far more than would be used by tarantula keepers in years. Another thing, if you take this stand about environmental issues, i take it you also don't use electricity generated by coal powerstations or drive a petrol engine car, yes? ;P

Cheers,

Dan.

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dan, as I wrote above...Im not perfect, Im not living in a cave, eating just berries and drinking just water...but I can try at least to minimize, not eliminate, my abusing of nature.

btw

no, I dont have a car (and its not matter of money, believe me)
yes, I use electricity...while Im typing this, Im sitting on a bycicle, generating power for my computer :D

what could I answer?

its going too much offtopic...use a snake scales substrate or whatever, just dont bother me with such a demagogy :)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
alias, i think most of us can respect your feelings.

however, we largely choose a different lifestyle. perhaps most of us choose to affect other things in our lives in different ways.

regardless, i think the peat bog debate should end now for everyone involved.

let's get back to talking about substrates to ACTUALLY use and not go on and on about ones we shouldn't, etc. :)

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Frost,
I use peat/vermiculite, mixed 50/50. I bought both at a garden supply center.
:)
Peace,
Gillian

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Frost,
Yes, try the peat/vermiculite mix that Gillian suggested, I said this way up in the article, before the debate started raging. For arboreals I use striaght vermiculite, alot of terrestrials don't like straight vermiculite. If you are housing a burrowing species you can use straight potting soil also, just keep it misted. Any of these mediums can be picked up at Wal-Mart/Lowe's/Home Depot.

Andy